LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Maximum Memory and Speed for XPS 1730

phoenix1972

I was looking around for getting some memory for a family members PC.

While at Kingston and Crucial, for chuckles, I looked to see how much memory costs for my XPS 1730.

I currently have 2 2GB DDR2 667Mhz PC5300 sticks for a total of 4GB running Windows 7 64-bit.

As far as I knew, 4GB was the maximum I could have in the system.

According to both Kingston and Crucial....

I can run either PC5300 (667Mhz) or PC6400 (800Mhz). Not sure what the higher speed memory would be me.

BUT they claim that I can have up to 2 4GB memory for a total of 8GB......8GB of RAM!?!?!?!

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on the different speed and if I can go higher then 4GB?

Thanks

Well, your laptop has the Intel PM965 chipset in it, and, as far as I know, that chipset doesn't support any more than 4gb of RAM. Crucial does have a no-questions-asked return policy though, so you would only be out shipping if you wanted to try it.

Guest The CHief

I was looking around for getting some memory for a family members PC.

While at Kingston and Crucial, for chuckles, I looked to see how much memory costs for my XPS 1730.

I currently have 2 2GB DDR2 667Mhz PC5300 sticks for a total of 4GB running Windows 7 64-bit.

As far as I knew, 4GB was the maximum I could have in the system.

According to both Kingston and Crucial....

I can run either PC5300 (667Mhz) or PC6400 (800Mhz). Not sure what the higher speed memory would be me.

BUT they claim that I can have up to 2 4GB memory for a total of 8GB......8GB of RAM!?!?!?!

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on the different speed and if I can go higher then 4GB?

Thanks

Oles chiefs,

Don't worry to much about the speed. Either of the speeds you mentioned above won't make a difference because it will still run at 667 due to the chipset and motherboard restrictions. SO just get the cheapest 2X 4gb sticks you can find oles.

Yes you can use 8gb max ram in the XPS M1730. I am doing so right now oles. Just make sure you have the system bios updated to the latest version and your all set to rumble.

Cheers. :)