LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell XPS M1730 System BIOS, English, XPS Notebook M1730, A11

HunterZ0

Dell just auto-notified me that a new XPS M1730 system BIOS has been released that changes how the GPU fans respond to temperature: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=2684&releaseid=R282332&fileid=417399

I haven't tested it yet myself, but I do plan to install it since my M1730 went out of warranty a few months ago.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Every 5 seconds, my fan blazes loudly for about 2 seconds.

I wish they would update the BIOS so that Win 7 64 will recognize both video cards.

I'm running Widnows 7 Prememium Home 64 bit with dual cards and they both work fine in games using the latest drivers on www.ati.com

Only thing that doesnt work is the inbuilt web cam.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Markxps

I'm running Widnows 7 Prememium Home 64 bit with dual cards and they both work fine in games using the latest drivers on www.ati.com

Only thing that doesnt work is the inbuilt web cam.

I have win 7 64 bit and everything works well, including the creative webcam. The sound drivers are a bit iffy as they are vista 64bit drivers though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate without any problems.

I was going to install the BIOS update, but with the problems people are having with there fans running louder/longer I think I'm going to skip it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BigFrankinDallas

The resolution, if you can call it that, is to lift the rear of the unit at least 3/8". Apparently the fan modification wants a cooler machine with more air flow than the 'feet' on the bottom of the M1730 allow.

Once I did this, by placing a couple of small items underneath, the fans stopped blazing.

BE SURE NOT TO BLOCK FAN or BREATHING slats/holes.

Frank