LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Realtek High Definition Audio 2.55

mobilenvidia

I wonder wtf they update all the times...

Its too bad they don't let you know if its a worthwhile update or not. Its not simple since you have to actually uninstall the existing driver, reboot, and install the new one. I have like 5 EQ presets for different headphones, TV, etc; and there's no way to save them.

Ugh!

Its too bad they don't let you know if its a worthwhile update or not. Its not simple since you have to actually uninstall the existing driver, reboot, and install the new one. I have like 5 EQ presets for different headphones, TV, etc; and there's no way to save them.

Ugh!

Completely agree. For some reason, this driver is wonky in bringing up the Realtek volume icon. Never had this problem before.

Still, the driver seems to have amplified the volume of my speakers, which has always been a problem with this laptop (low volume). Well, that along with the problem that my headphone jack is in perma-on mode (the laptop always thinks it has headphones connected even when it doesn't, killing the speaker audio), so I have to hack the registry to force audio through speakers and headphone jack simultaneously. This gives me audio through my speakers at least. I doubt I'd even use the Realtek drivers otherwise, but I haven't found a way to hack the Windows-included driver to force audio through the headphones and speakers at the same time. I harrassed Realtek to try and get them to use one of these driver updates to enable an option to manually select between speaker and headphones (vs the automatic one they have in place now), but they recommended I contact Asus. I contacted the Asus rep on notebookreview and he said he'd look into it, but never got back to me. His focus is on their current laptops (Asus G73), not their older ones I think.

And since the warranty is out, I am not paying $100 to fix a $5 headphone jack that seem to fail inevitably across all Asus laptops (google it).

I keep updating these drivers hoping that they finally did enable the obvious manual switch in software in the, "Advanced" section, but all that ever remains is the option to choose between "tying the inputs" or not.