LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problems with Ati mobility HD 3560 512mb ddr2

Crispii

Hi,

i'm new here and i wanna say hi to you all!

As the topic is saying, i have a problem with my ATI Mobility HD 3560

i recently bought it new! and when i try to boot up the laptop with the card it just keeps rebooting.

Accordingly to website's compatibility tabel http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Fujitsu.html

my laptop Amilo pi 1536 should be compatible with the card.

I've tried diffrent bioses but could it be that the ATI Mobility HD 3650 256mb ddr3 and the 512mb ddr2 version are so diffrent that the laptop won't recognize the 512mb ddr2 version because its a 512mb ddr2?

can you help me out guys? (that card cost me 140 euro!)

I strongly assume that you didn't adjust the heatsink to the card. As the SMD components of the 3650 are different in height from the previously installed card, the heatsink doesn't make proper contact with the GPU-Die and the card shuts down to prevent overheating ==> constant rebooting.

Take a dremmel or a drill and mill a recess for the large coil, also replace the thermal pad with a copper shim and thermal paste sandwich and make 100% sure that the card's die makes perfect contact with the heatsink.

Edit: I see you are Dutch (and I assume you understand German), so head over to amilo-forum.de and you can find lots of topics covering your issue over the forum search.

I once installed a 3650 into a friend's Pi and I know that

the heatsink definitely has to be milled off.

Edited by quipster

im going to do the same upgrade soon (HD3650) but the card im going to buy is the 256MB GDDR3 version. will post back when i buy and receive the card.

Edited by SCARFACE69

Guest Crispii

I strongly assume that you didn't adjust the heatsink to the card. As the SMD components of the 3650 are different in height from the previously installed card, the heatsink doesn't make proper contact with the GPU-Die and the card shuts down to prevent overheating ==> constant rebooting.

Take a dremmel or a drill and mill a recess for the large coil, also replace the thermal pad with a copper shim and thermal paste sandwich and make 100% sure that the card's die makes perfect contact with the heatsink.

Edit: I see you are Dutch (and I assume you understand German), so head over to amilo-forum.de and you can find lots of topics covering your issue over the forum search.

I once installed a 3650 into a friend's Pi and I know that

the heatsink definitely has to be milled off.

the problem is that i did modified the heatsink, and i used de standard thermal pad and made it into a sandwich so that there is no space between the gpu and heatsink and still it keeps rebooting.

As for the copper shim where can i get one? are there specially made shims for the gpu?

for the bios i used the original bios Fuj.Siem. v1.25, (i can use this one wright?)

I also looked up the amilo-forum and my German is as bad as my Chinese it was 8 years ago that i had my last german lessons :) but do you know a good tutorial with pictures or without?

i really want this to work on my laptop!

Well so much for the videocard i'm returning it

I think this is just a matter of luck wich HD 3560 you have bought.

Sometimes it works and sometimes you're F****D :)

• 3 weeks later...

well after 2 long weeks the card finally arrived today and i can confirm it WORKS! now i only need to find mounting holes for the card to mount it to the heatsink. NOTE: this card is the ATI HD3650 256MB GDDR3 version with ATI BIOS.

Edited by SCARFACE69

after returning the 3650 i've bought an 9600m gt and that works

only i have got to fix the 30 sec. error :)