LaptopVideo2Go Forums

nx9420 supported vga

cyrul

hi,

at the beginning i'm new onne here :) an welcome

i was searching this forum (and lots of others) for information if my nx9420 supports any other vga card than x1600. do u have any experince with this ystem board ?

i was thinking about installing radeon hd2600 or FireGL V5725 (3670m) - good prices at ebay

thanks for suggestions

hi,

at the beginning i'm new onne here :) an welcome

i was searching this forum (and lots of others) for information if my nx9420 supports any other vga card than x1600. do u have any experince with this ystem board ?

i was thinking about installing radeon hd2600 or FireGL V5725 (3670m) - good prices at ebay

thanks for suggestions

ok i bought 3670, if it works i will let u know :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest frostpfote

i (at first) successfully upgraded my nx920 to a nw9440-graphics card, the nvidia quadro fx1500m with 512mb ram (usually they come with 256mb, but 512mb cards also exist).

the damn thing needs a better heatpipe, luckily i got one in advance. while the cooler/heatpipe for the x1600 is only partially made of copper the one for the quadro fx 1500m is so completely. this is a really important step, the fx 1500m gets VERY hot and overheats easily. all the ram-chips need a physical connection to the cooling, too.

after some fiddling it worked like a charm (driver install is hell, though). i used windows xp, for windows 7 lots of people complained about crashes with the nw9440 on forums. the 3d performance is greatly improved over the x1600.

3 weeks later the card died when watching a movie, i'm pretty sure it was no overheating issue, though.

so:

1. hard to come by and prices are still quite high for the board.

2. overheat issues

3. lack of windows 7 compatibility

ddr3 vRAM generally doesn't need active cooling. On the contrary, its probably preventing good contact with the core and making the card overheat.

These laptops are built on a similar chassis to the 8710!!!

The heatsink will fit!

The 3670/v5725 is a type II card. It will NOT fit any known heatsink for this laptop! Furthermore, some of these cards do not have an EEPROM or vBIOS - which the x1600 from your laptop might not either, but you don't want a 3670 running like an x1600, do you?

Why don't you just search g84 on ebay, give that a try. Prices are GOOD. I'm in touch with this company. http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_1120wt_1163

And it comes with a little cooler which can help with your heatsink issues, if you're handy enough to remount heatpipes.

I heard the 3600m works on this laptop.

Just so you all know, HP cards will NOT help you with MXM upgrades if they are from 2 different HP laptops! Absolutely not. In fact, HP uses more proprietary cards than say, Acer. So, if you're going to try anything, just make it ANYTHING as long as its a standard MXM card with low power consumption.

Edited by nifcreature