LaptopVideo2Go Forums

9600m GT Blank Screen

pizzathehut893

I recently bought a GeForce 9600m GT for my Alienware m5500i-R3 laptop.

I used to have a Radeon 1400x and my BIOS were 2.06.

I put the card in and it fits fine with thermal paste and all, but when I turn the computer on, it beeps and remains on a blank screen.

If anyone knows how to fix this or has any suggestions, PLEASE help

Thanks

I recently bought a GeForce 9600m GT for my Alienware m5500i-R3 laptop.

I used to have a Radeon 1400x and my BIOS were 2.06.

I put the card in and it fits fine with thermal paste and all, but when I turn the computer on, it beeps and remains on a blank screen.

If anyone knows how to fix this or has any suggestions, PLEASE help

Thanks

the card should work with 2.06 bios but if you want to be sure flash another version other than 2.07 and 1.19 - due to the 4-bit colour problem.

does the card fit correctly in the mxm connector? if everything seems to be right the only reason could be that the card is damaged or perhaps got a wrong vbios (don't know if there are vbios versions not working with your m5550)

good luck!

How do I Find out what the vbios on the card is???

And yes the card does seem to fit perfectly.

How do I Find out what the vbios on the card is???

And yes the card does seem to fit perfectly.

yea, that's the question... if your card won't work in your machine you could not determine the vbios version :)

at this side there are different versions listed: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?page=1&architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=&model=9600M+GT&interface=&memSize=0

don't know if there are all available versions... do you got a gddr3 or ddr2 9600m gt? i got the gddr3 and i'm sure the acer and the msi versions are working (both are running in my card)

perhaps your card was flashed with an ddr2 version (if you got the gddr3)? where did you buy and in which laptop model was the card originally?

Hereis where I got the card.

It says that its a ddr3, so I assume that that means gddr3? :)

So anyway, I'll ask the buyer where the card came from. (Which computer)

I do have two questions for you:

1. If a card has a vbios version that does not work with a computer, will the computer at least display SOMETHING at the start??

2. Is it at all possible that a card does NOT have vbios?

By the way, thanks amiloware for all your replies. Your a BIG help.

yes, seems that's an gddr3 board - there are qimonda memory chips, just like mine - but i can't identify the numbers...

you should ask the seller which bios version is installed. they write the card is refurbished? eventually they re-soldered the gpu (reflow soldering) - perhaps they didn't work good enough? i think you should claim the card!

I am sending it back for a new one of the same thing. Hopefully it will work.

Amiloware- are there certain numbers on the qimonda chip that I should look for?? If so please tell me.

By the way, are there any possible things that I could have done to damage the card??

I used OCZ freeze extreme thermal conductivity compound for thermal paste and I think I might have touched the card all over once or twice by accident. Would any of those things hurt the card?

Thanks again for all your replies.

did your laptop boot anytime with the card? did you modify your heatsink? the termal compound itself isn't able to get good contact between the gpu and the heatsink - you also have to use copper shims to compensate the distance between them!

if there was no sufficient cooling of the gpu you probably damaged it - but even if it became to hot it normaly would shut down before burning... i don't think you damaged the card.

good luck with the next one! :)