LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Michael's NEW IDT/Sigmatel Modded Driver

Michael Marley

For some time, I've been wanting to know if the sound quality of these are equal to the normal IDT ones w/ SRS, virtual surround, bass, and all the other effects. I listen to music much more on my pc, since I don't want to buy another ipod touch really. I can't say I notice the difference, but I want the opinion of others too.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael Marley

• erp-ster7n

• samozen

• coolguy16

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For some time, I've been wanting to know if the sound quality of these are equal to the normal IDT ones w/ SRS, virtual surround, bass, and all the other effects. I listen to music much more on my pc, since I don't want to buy another ipod touch really. I can't say I notice the difference, but I want the opinion of others too.

IMHO, the sound quality is significantly better without the software processing turned on. Back before I created my second set of modded drivers (and back before I had switched to Linux), I was playing around with Foobar2000 on my computer and I turned on the ASIO sound output mode. I immediately noticed that the audio quality was much better (clearer, louder, more bass, etc.) in the direct audio mode. I did some investigation and determined that the reason for the quality loss was the "system effects" being turned on in the IDT driver. After this, I completely disabled and removed the effects.

Most of the IDT audio processing effects work best with the external audio amplifier system, not with the tiny laptop speakers. I had tried the SRS effects, and the audio didn't much change even with the external speakers. The newer IDT drivers come with Dolby Home Theater V4, this didn't produce any noticeable difference with the laptop peakers. The MS update IDT drivers come with Sonic Focus audio effects, I haven't tried this yet.

The only useful IDT included plugin is the EQ.

Edited by coolguy16

Most of the IDT audio processing effects work best with the external audio amplifier system, not with the tiny laptop speakers. I had tried the SRS effects, and the audio didn't much change even with the external speakers. The newer IDT drivers come with Dolby Home Theater V4, this didn't produce any noticeable difference with the laptop peakers. The MS update IDT drivers come with Sonic Focus audio effects, I haven't tried this yet.

The only useful IDT included plugin is the EQ.

I did some testing with headphones and with midrange Altec Lansing speakers w/subwoofer. The difference was pretty obvious on both, but more so with the headphones. I also reproduced the quality difference with a much newer soundcard. Also, if you are trying to reproduce what I am talking about, you must turn off the audio effects completely (in the playback devices control panel) or just use my drivers. Turning off SRS, EQ, etc. in the IDT control panel doesn't do it.

I did some testing with headphones and with midrange Altec Lansing speakers w/subwoofer. The difference was pretty obvious on both, but more so with the headphones. I also reproduced the quality difference with a much newer soundcard. Also, if you are trying to reproduce what I am talking about, you must turn off the audio effects completely (in the playback devices control panel) or just use my drivers. Turning off SRS, EQ, etc. in the IDT control panel doesn't do it.

I had tried turning OFF all the audio effects and didn't notice any difference in the audio quality, atleast in my Vaio FZ with the Stac 9872 card (9225 Equivalent). Your audio quality shouldn't degrade with the basic MS/ IDT audio APO's. The Andrea APO and the system EQ plugin found in the HP released IDT ini's seem to muffle the sound. The SRS effects (from IDT) also degrade the audio quality.

I am using the MS audio driver (it has the MS audio APO) now and only the MS driver has more audio volume than any IDT driver for my sigmatel card.

I had tried turning OFF all the audio effects and didn't notice any difference in the audio quality, atleast in my Vaio FZ with the Stac 9872 card (9225 Equivalent). Your audio quality shouldn't degrade with the basic MS/ IDT audio APO's. The Andrea APO and the system EQ plugin found in the HP released IDT ini's seem to muffle the sound. The SRS effects (from IDT) also degrade the audio quality.

I am using the MS audio driver (it has the MS audio APO) now and only the MS driver has more audio volume than any IDT driver for my sigmatel card.

That would probably explain what I was seeing. Most of the drivers I modded for my own laptop (before I released my current driver) were based on HP drivers. I just decided that the whole APO thing was a waste of time anyway. Then I decided that Windows was a waste of time, but thats a different story.

Which version are you using? 6341 had some issues with jack detection, so if you are running that you might want to upgrade.

i download latest and now mic detection works but "Independent Headphones 2" says not connected all the time

using windows 7 64bit

i download latest and now mic detection works but "Independent Headphones 2" says not connected all the time

using windows 7 64bit

Ah, yes. This is a common, recurring bug with the IDT drivers. Sometimes the stacsv(32/64) doesn't start. This causes output jack detection to fail. The only solution seems to be to remove and reinstall the drivers until it does work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just tried 6351 on my Dell Alienware M17x R1 (Windows 7 SP1 x64) and it fails with Code 10 - I remembered to uninstall the original IDT drivers and reboot, and also tried installing the new ones several times. Still won't work - even tried an earlier set, 6324, without success. Device manager shows the hardware IDs as:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7675&SUBSYS_102802A1&REV_1001

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7675&SUBSYS_102802A1

Let me know if there is anything else I can provide.

Guest Kristin32

Mike,

Dell 1420 with vista all of sudden has high hiss from the mic with barely audible input from the mic. I tried numerous methods to try and repair this, the last being your simplified sigmatel driver. The driver installed but did not provide level control over the microphone array (I assume as it was identified differently) and a few other oddities. In looking at the INF (32 bit version) I saw that it references some 64 bit files. Is this correct.

The audio device is identified at FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_102801F3 which is available in your "dell_WRT_M8-5.INI"

Hope you can help as my current testing indicates that my problem is related to the apos (which I do not fully understand) and I liked your method of not installing them.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible to explain how to mod the latest original HP drivers to work on my Dell Precision M4400? It is the same audio hardware as the Latitude E6500. My Device IDs are:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76B2&SUBSYS_10280250&REV_1003

Basically I want to do this for the following reasons:

1. Test out HP Beats software

2. Test out Dolby and SRS separately

3. Kill all of the secondary features except Andrea noise cancellation, which I actually find useful for Skype on the rare occasion I use the built-in Mic

My plan right now is to try to install the HP drivers but add in my inf either from the latest drivers from Dell, or from Michael's latest sets of INFs if I can find my DevID easily enough.

Might you please have any advice for me, Michael? I would be most grateful!

OK, so in my mission to dig into the HP v. 50 drivers, I found a few things:

1. All HP laptops have SPDIF available over the dock. My Dell does not, but it has HDMI, which the HP does not.

2. The icons are funny. (not important, obviously)

3. The Beats Control Panel is installed and uninstalled with the drivers...you basically cannot mismatch the CPL with another driver version since the CPL will get uninstalled.

Anyway, INI files 4-1 and 6-3 give me pretty good sound. Haven't tested speakers->headphones handoff, though jack detection works. 7-11A and 6-8/A both have the Beats CPL included, but I get an Error 10 message. A few of the lower-numbered INIs claim to have some beats functionality, but it seems to be limited to presets in the standard IDT control panel.

Michael, could you please help extract the functionality from 7-11A and make it match with my ancient Dell HDMI version? The Dell version is the latest version available specifically for my model (M4400, similar to Latitude E6500), but the 4-1 file works even though it is designed for HP. The 6-3 file also works in case you have these drivers hanging around. 7-11A is attached for all of its Beats functionality.

http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/ZPC2m2FSzmi%2B2IMtp6LGrw2RB4IzdJez

My rationale for doing this:

1. I don't want to steal Beats.

2. Beats actually consists of mostly SRS, Andrea, and Dolby enhancements, all of which Dell licensed already. (Yes, I know they didn't license the Beats trademark, but I'm not too concerned about that.)

3. My Dell drivers were out of date and didn't really have independent headphone truly implemented.

4. Michael's modded drivers cause my soundcard to crash since the speakers to headphones handoff doesn't work properly.

5. Eventually I just want to build for myself the latest drivers with all the bells and whistles removed except distinct volume for headphones and speakers, and Andrea for noise reduction for Skype.

Anyone with me?

PS - Jack detection still does not work, even after multiple (clean!) reinstalls, reboots, etc. on my machine with Michael's latest. Headphones never show up as connected anymore, although the audio sink does now switch. Volume control gets applied across both. Also, I get distortion at high volume, whereas I never used to.

I'm glad someone is working on making the latest drivers available to the masses, and I definitely think this is huge progress, but the distortion and lack of jack-sensing are deal-breakers for me. I guess I'll have to learn more about this and mod the drivers myself.

It's just frustrating that the installer INI, while highly modifiable, doesn't seem to be TOO consistent over the course of several recent driver revisions. This may be intentional obfuscation on the part of IDT/Beats/partners.

NighTalon, NYC

My expertise does not extend to any of this Beats stuff, so I'm afraid I can't help you. Basically, if I didn't understand something, I stripped it from my driver. I have never done anything with Beats or any of the other filters.

My expertise does not extend to any of this Beats stuff, so I'm afraid I can't help you. Basically, if I didn't understand something, I stripped it from my driver. I have never done anything with Beats or any of the other filters.

Your changes don't actually affect the "beats" headphones, I have a pair and they sound the same before and after using this driver. Not sure why others are having any issues, and you were right about the SRS/Dolby stuff lowering the audio clarity. Thanks for all the hard work on these drivers, even though the manufactures have given up support. :dogpile:

Hello,

I'm using 6351 on a Vostro 1400 (Win7 x64), which has this string:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_10280227&REV_1002

That corresponds to dell_WRT_M8-5.INI.

I followed the directions and all is well except for line-in, which I like to use for a mic. I saw the note on the first page about this, but that hasn't helped. The Recording tab looks like this:

-Independent Headphones (btw, there's a high-order ASCII character between the words)

-Microphone

-Mic / Line In Jack

The first one is the built-in mic, and it works.

Neither of the next two seem to do anything for the external mic, even when made the default, default comm device, recording levels are maxed, etc. The activity bar on the Recording tab is always dead for these two.

Any advice?

Hi',

What a great idea !

Looking for this driver during months for my old Dell Precision M20 (2005). I got all drivers working except this stupid sound card :P

I try your last package but i get a code 10 error during manual installation

Here are id numbers :

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_01A01028&REV_03

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_01A01028

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&CC_040100

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&CC_0401

I'm trying to get this working on a official Windows 7 Pro SP1 32 bits.

Can you help me ?

Guest GhostHacked

Hi Mike,

I've seen all the good work you've done and I hope you can help me with my Dell D830. Here's the device ID's:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801FE&REV_1002

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801FE

I've already tried your 6351 driver package and get the error code 10.

Thanks!

-Jayson

Limitations:

• Does not support Audio Processing Objects (APOs), so add-on software sound enhancements will not work.
  • May not support some non-standard output configurations (dual headphone jacks)
  • Input device names (on the "Recording" tab) may be wrong in some circumstances. These can be renamed, but if you encounter this please tell me what model of computer you have and how the inputs are mis-named.
  • Does not (and will never) support Windows XP. Don't ask.

another limitation not mentioned is that these modded IDT/Sigmatel Vista/Win7 drivers may NOT support IDT/Sigmatel HD audio devices on certain Fujitsu & Toshiba brand-name notebook computers...at least not yet.

IDT/Sigmatel audio chips on Toshiba based laptops use any of the following hardware ID nos:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7690&SUBSYS_11790461

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7691&SUBSYS_117904F1

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7691&SUBSYS_11790472

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7690&SUBSYS_11790472

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7690&SUBSYS_11790463

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7690&SUBSYS_11790462

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7690&SUBSYS_11790473

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7691&SUBSYS_117904F2

and the latest Sigmatel/IDT drivers that worked for Toshiba laptops is 6.10.5866.0 which I found from the Microsoft Update Catalog site (go to that site and search for "sigmatel audio 6.10.5866.0"). Those drivers contain the following INI files:

T0461.INI, T0463.INI, T0472.INI & T04F1.INI

IDT/Sigmatel audio chips on Fujitsu (FMV-BIBLO, FMV-LIFEBOOK, FMV-STYLISTIC TB14/B series) based laptops use any of the following hardware ID nos:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_10CF0000

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_10CF0100

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_10CF0200

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_10CF0400

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_10CF0500

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_10CF8200

The IDT/Sigmatel HD audio 6.10.5866.0 drivers for these Fujitsu FMV notebook PCs are packaged inside the E1005339.exe file (and the INI files they use are named WRT2-1.INI,WRT2-2.INI, WRT2-3.INI & WRT2-4.INI).

@Michael Marley: you may want to take a look at those specific Sigmatel/IDT audio driver packages from Fujitsu and Toshiba and gather their INI files.

Edited by erp-ster7n

• 3 weeks later...

@Michael Marley: I have uninstalled your modded IDT HD Audio 6.10.6351 driver from my mom's Dell Inspiron e1405 laptop and reverted back to a working but "signed" Sigmatel/IDT audio driver.

Dell has recently posted a new IDT HD Audio driver on the Dell support site which says version 1.0.6359.0, though it is really version 6.10.6359.0.

R312580 contains IDT Audio drivers build 6359 for Dell Latitude ST.

Edited by erp-ster7n

@Michael Marley: I have uninstalled your modded IDT HD Audio 6.10.6351 driver from my mom's Dell Inspiron e1405 laptop and reverted back to a working but "signed" Sigmatel/IDT audio driver.

Dell has recently posted a new IDT HD Audio driver on the Dell support site which says version 1.0.6359.0, though it is really version 6.10.6359.0.

R312580 contains IDT Audio drivers build 6359 for Dell Latitude ST.

I will try to have the new version up by the end of the day this Friday. I have a couple of tests tomorrow that are consuming 110% of my time right now.