LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Michael's NEW IDT/Sigmatel Modded Driver

Michael Marley

For people who have been around here for a while, you may remember my previous attempt at a unified driver for IDT and Sigmatel audio devices. For a number of reasons, I abandoned it after only supporting a few Dell laptop models. Later, mobilenvidia (the creator of this site) made another try at a modded driver, but that too seems to have fallen by the wayside. Therefore, based on all the knowledge I have collected since I began working on these drivers, I decided to make another attempt at a unified driver supporting all devices. This time, I have taken a radically different approach. I have eliminated the Control Panel, SRS, audio effects, the mixer, and just about every other piece of software not essential to the operation of the driver. This allows me to focus on supporting more models without having to worry about extraneous applications. The removed files will never be added back again, so asking is pointless.

I have already added support for a great number of various models (on my own site (see the link)). Even if your computer is not explicitly supported, I have included a bare-bones fallback configuration that should work at least partially on any system with IDT or Sigmatel audio. If your computer isn't supported, post here or send me a PM with the manufacturer and model of your computer so I can add support for it. If you have a Sony, you will have to send me the complete audio driver for your computer (because Sony does not allow extraction of its drivers on non-Sony systems.)

This project is dead. I regrettably no longer have the time or resources to maintain it. Thank you for your support.

Model Support:

• Most/all Dell laptops (including Alienwares manufactured by Dell)
  • Some older Dell desktops
  • Most/all Intel motherboards
  • Most/all HP laptops
  • Some Asus laptops
  • Some Gateway laptops
  • Some Apple desktops

Information:

• Compatible with Windows Vista and Windows 7 x86 and x64
  • Contains over 200 INI configuration files including a fallback for currently unsupported models
  • Uses the latest available version of the IDT driver (6351) at the time of this writing)
  • Driver has been completely stripped of all nonessential addons (control panel, effects, etc.) for a lighter weight and possibly even faster audio driver.

Limitations:

• Does not support Audio Processing Objects (APOs), so add-on software sound enhancements will not work.
  • May not support some non-standard output configurations (dual headphone jacks)
  • Input device names (on the "Recording" tab) may be wrong in some circumstances. These can be renamed, but if you encounter this please tell me what model of computer you have and how the inputs are mis-named.
  • Does not (and will never) support Windows XP. Don't ask.

Installing:

Before installing this driver, you must remove any previous Sigmatel or IDT driver that may be installed. You can do this by uninstalling it from the Add/Remove Programs menu, if applicable, or by uninstalling it from the Device Manager. (Be sure to check the "Delete driver software" box.) Be sure to select "Scan for hardware changes" from the "Action" menu in the device manager after uninstalling. My driver may then be installed using the "Have Disk" method. Select the "High Definition Audio Device", right click it, and select "Update Driver Software." Then just point it to the appropriate INF (32- or 64-bit) from my package. That should be all it takes to install the driver.

Enabling Rec. Playback:

These drivers should support the Rec. Playback (aka. Stereo Mix, Analog Mix, What U Hear, etc.) on some devices. However, it is not shown or enabled by default. To show it, right click on the speaker icon in the system tray and click "Recording Devices". Right click in a blank area of the recording devices list and enabled the viewing of disabled devices. A new device called "Mic/Line In Jack" should appear. This is the Rec. Playback device. It may be displayed as "Currently Unavailable". If it is, set it as default and it should become active. If you wish, you can rename it. It should now work as the Rec. Playback device. If enabling the Rec. Playback device disabled one of your Mics, then simply set that mic as default to switch back.

Reporting Problems:

If you have a problem (Code 10, BSoDs, whatever), please tell me. Make sure you post the Vendor, Device, and Subsys IDs of your sound chip, or there won't be anything I can do.

Credits:

Special thanks goes to mobilenvidia for creating the INF and INI framework that I used to build this driver.

Disclaimer:

This driver may not work on your computer. If it doesn't work, please tell me. I will make every effort to fix it, but I cannot guarantee that your sound chip will work properly. Additionally, I have not tested a majority of the models supported, because I do not own them. I have also cannot test the 32-bit INF, as I do not own any 32-bit systems.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael Marley

• erp-ster7n

• samozen

• coolguy16

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gotta ask - if the standard HD Audio drivers work anyway, what advantage is there to installing a barebones IDT driver that doesn't support any of the additional features?

The Microsoft drivers don't support some special outputs, for example the S/PDIF output on my Vostro 1500. Also, the Microsoft driver fails to properly detect combined Mic/Line In jacks and detects them only as Line In jacks. This makes microphones not work right.

At one point in time, I had audio skipping issues with the Microsoft driver.

Besides, the effects and filter stuff never worked for me unless I installed the driver 2 or 3 times. Even then, I couldn't tell that Andrea was actually doing anything, and SRS sounded horrible. In fact, having "System Effects" enabled at all made it seem like my audio was being sent through high and low pass filters.

This doesn't work for a Dell Precision M90. I get "driver can't start". Back to my semi'modded driver for Vista for now.

Dell i9400

Driver installs fine.

The basic functions that IDT brings are there.

Subwoofer the thing I wanted most and the reason I started the mods is working :)

BUT I get a BSOD after about 2 minutes :)

I may need to have a closer look

BTW for doubters, the IDT driver is day and night better than the MS included one.

i just downloaded the file but it give me an error with extracting can you please ut another link with file archived with winrar,thank a lot for you work.

83780425388123712910.jpg

Edited by samozen

i just downloaded the file but it give me an error with extracting can you please ut another link with file archived with winrar,thank a lot for you work.

Downloaded file just before and it extracts fine for me.

If you use 7zip make sure you have v9.20 (latest official)

i use 7-zip 9.2 (64bit)but it gives the same error,please upload it with rar archived

i just restart my vaio and extracted it with 7-zip succesfully,but when i run the setup i have Blue screen and my vaio shutdown

this is what happend

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 1000007e

BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005

BCP2: FFFFF880094EF2B4

BCP3: FFFFF880031FC768

BCP4: FFFFF880031FBFC0

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\020411-40950-01.dmp

C:\Users\KOLMINA\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-55146-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

87427011479476587656.jpg

This doesn't work for a Dell Precision M90. I get "driver can't start". Back to my semi'modded driver for Vista for now.

Code 10? OK, I will look at that, but I will need your Vendor, Device, and Subsys IDs so I will know which INI to look at.

i use 7-zip 9.2 (64bit)but it gives the same error,please upload it with rar archived

It is a self-extractor. If it won't work, just use the self-extraction.

:)

Have you tried it?

Subwoofer the thing I wanted most and the reason I started the mods is working :)

So the subwoofer does work? Are you doing anything specific when the computer BSoDs?

Thanks, Michael.

The drivers seems to install fine (I do get the driver not-compatible and driver not-signed warnings), but I get no sound.

Uninstalled previous driver, installed the driver, rebooted, and nothing.

I'm able to connect to the device (WASAPI, DirectSound), and I get indication in the sound control panel that sound is played.

I also checked that the sound level is on 100% and not muted.

All of the above is relevant to both my notebook's internal speakers and external headphones (that I tried on each of the 3 connectors).

I'm using Dell Studio 1555 under Windows 7 x64.

My hardware ID is (I think...)

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7675&SUBSYS_102802BE&REV_1001

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7675&SUBSYS_102802BE

Thanks, Adam.

Thanks, Michael.

The drivers seems to install fine (I do get the driver not-compatible and driver not-signed warnings), but I get no sound.

Uninstalled previous driver, installed the driver, rebooted, and nothing.

I'm able to connect to the device (WASAPI, DirectSound), and I get indication in the sound control panel that sound is played.

I also checked that the sound level is on 100% and not muted.

All of the above is relevant to both my notebook's internal speakers and external headphones (that I tried on each of the 3 connectors).

I'm using Dell Studio 1555 under Windows 7 x64.

My hardware ID is (I think...)

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7675&SUBSYS_102802BE&REV_1001

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7675&SUBSYS_102802BE

Thanks, Adam.

Can you try moving this updated INI (remove the ".txt" extension first) into the driver folder and install again? Also, do(es) your microphone(s) work?

Sorry, IDT driver modding rarely goes right the first time. This is still a work-in-progress.

dell_W92HDM66.INI.txt

I'm using Dell Inspiron1520 under Windows 7 x86.

My hardware ID is

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801F1&REV_1002

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801F1

Thanks

OK, here goes.

Both gave me non-compatible, non-signed warnings during installations.

Uninstalled and deleted driver -> back to MS driver -> installed driver.

Old .INI -

Audio configuration available - stereo, quadrophonic, 5.1 surround.

Gives no sound either via built in speakers or headphones.

Able to connect via applications.

Microphones available - Microphone, Microphone Array (this one was used).

Microphone seems to be working (recorded something and audacity shows some reasonable waveform).

New .INI -

Audio configuration available - stereo, quadrophonic.

Gives no sound either via built in speakers or headphones.

Able to connect via applications.

Microphones available - Microphone Array.

Microphone seems to be working (recorded something and audacity shows some reasonable waveform).

Thanks again and let me know what else is needed to help pinpoint the problem.

I'm using Dell Inspiron1520 under Windows 7 x86.

My hardware ID is

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801F1&REV_1002

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801F1

Thanks

Your hardware (being the same as the Vostro 1500) is currently the best supported model of this driver. It should work great.

Guest Tunafish
It is a self-extractor. If it won't work, just use the self-extraction.

Something is wrong with the download or the way the files were packed - I get "Data error" on several files with 7-zip 9.20 64bit on Windows 7 64bit, too. Executing your self-extractor returns the same error codes. I never have problems unpacking other files, there must be something specific to this archive.

For those of you having problems with extracting, try downloading again. I think there might be a problem with my web server. I will look at getting it fixed.

Michael Marley

did you see the Blue screen on my vaio vgn-ar71m??i installed it through device manager it work 1 minute then it crashed.

Michael, Pieter or anyone have found anything in the driver to allow HDMI detection? I'm tired of searching the INIs to find a way to auto switch from speakers to HDMI when i plug the cable.

Michael, Pieter or anyone have found anything in the driver to allow HDMI detection? I'm tired of searching the INIs to find a way to auto switch from speakers to HDMI when i plug the cable.

Sorry, I still can't help with this. My laptop doesn't have HDMI, so there is no way I can test.

Michael Marley

did you see the Blue screen on my vaio vgn-ar71m??i installed it through device manager it work 1 minute then it crashed.

I saw it. I think it may be due to corrupt files (the same thing causing the failure to extract.) Could you try re-downloading?

If it doesn't help, I think mobilenvidia is working on the BSoD issue too.

i just download it and the error still.i hope you fix it,i know it is dificult but you know much in this field.good work

i just download it and the error still.i hope you fix it,i know it is dificult but you know much in this field.good work

I think that it is probably caused by the same problem that causes the BSoD on mobilenvidia's i9400. This is surprising though, since both computers have a very similar audio chip to mine and mine doesn't crash.

Sorry, I still can't help with this. My laptop doesn't have HDMI, so there is no way I can test.

I just need to know where to look at because in the drivers and all the INIs I've been modding I haven't found anything about it. The testing I'll do it myself tho. Anything that you might know about... any hints are appreciated thanks :)