LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell XPS M1710 Display Problem

epirater

Hello,

I'm trying to fix a display problem on a friends Dell XPS M1710, with an nVidia GeForce Go 7950 GTX.

I think the problem started when he tried to install Windows 7 and it wouldn't display anything on the laptop's screen, but worked perfectly on external monitors.

While it was still in warranty he had the graphics card, cables and screen replaced 3 times, and motherboard once.

Currently post and Windows 7 64-bit won't display on the Laptop's screen, just external monitors, but yesterday I managed to get Windows XP Pro 32-bit to display on the Laptop's screen.

The latest official Dell and and nVidia drivers for Windows XP didn't work, but after searching the Hardware ID on LaptopVideo2Go, the latest listed driver for Windows XP, 185.66, with the modified INF, worked!

Post still didn't display but once it booted into Windows, Windows displayed perfectly on the Laptop's screen.

So it can't purely be a hardware problem.

So then I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit to try these special drivers but no luck. I've tried the newest and oldest Vista 64-bit drivers with available modified inf's listed when searching the Hardware ID - PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0297&SUBSYS_019B1028 - (180.70 and 98.09) - with no luck. I've tried installing the newest XP 64-bit version and inf (180.70) listed but that wouldn't install. I tried the latest Vista 64-bit and inf listed when searching just the device ID (159.47) but no good. I've tried the latest Windows 7 64-bit driver and modified inf on LaptopVideo2Go (266.66) but that wouldn't install. I've tried the latest official compatible Dell and nVidia drivers for it but they don't work. The hardware ID must have been different in Windows XP 32-bit as when searching on LaptopVideo2Go it listed 185.66 as the latest - when it doesn't with this one - so I tried the Vista and XP 64-bit drivers of that version too but no good. I tried enhancing some inf's with VMR fix for the drivers but they don't seem to work with 64-bit.

I have the latest system BIOS but have tried the oldest too with no difference. System bios settings are default but all video-related ones have been changed in the past with no difference. All Windows updates have been installed. All manufacturer drivers have been installed in the past with no difference but it's just using the drivers included in Windows 7 now. Windows and display settings changes have been exhausted. Sometimes when it doesn't display the Laptop screen isn't listed as a display in settings, sometimes something is but I'm not sure if it's it.

So I don't know what the problem is but seemings it worked on XP 32-bit with a special driver must mean it can work.

So are there any other drivers that might make Windows 7 64-bit display?

Can inf's be enhanced for 64-bit drivers?

Is there a way, and would it be helpful to flash the GPU bios?

I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with driver Windows Vista 64-bit version 180.7 with a modified inf installed.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks

Tom

Edited by epirater

Hey

It is really strange how the POST will not show, but yet in Windows it works fine....

You could attempt a GPU flash, but just use the BIOS you currently have on your GPU, and just reflash it, as this might sort out any problems with the card. However, if you can't see the POST screen, then this will be very hard to accomplish, but a blind flash is very possible.

I am not really aware with your problem though, are you just trying to use more updated drivers? 266.66 works fine here on a 7950GTX, exactly the same laptop as yours, but I had to install it in safe mode, as normal did not want to work either.

Anyway, I hope some of this is of help,

Matt

Thanks Matt,

I am just wanting to do anything that will make the laptop screen display Windows 7 64-bit.

I just installed 266.66 in safe mode, but Windows still won't display on the laptop's screen.

POST does display on an external monitor, so I could re-flash it from their?

Could you please give me some insight on how to do that?

Thanks

Edited by epirater

I extracted my current GPU bios with GPU-Z, opened and saved it as a .rom with NiBiTor 6.0, made nVFlash 5.100 USB bootable as per here - http://www.overclock.net/11687134-post4.html - put the bios file on, booted up and used commands I read on a forum - nvflash -5 -6 g71.rom - its details were the same and it asked for confirmation and I pressed y and it seemed to flash it. No difference. I tried Juan's locked and unlocked Dell 7950 GTX bios' from this post - - no difference. I tried another's identical bios - http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/1922/Dell.7950GTXGo.512.061128.html - and one with a higher memory clock - http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/6318/Dell.7950GTXGo.512.061128_1.html - but no difference - so I put the original bios back on.

So I suppose it's not a bios issue...

Edited by epirater

Hey

Now I see your problem, except I do not have a clue how to resolve it! I have never had a problem like this before... when did the LCD cable and inverter get changed?

Could be a problem not just for the graphics, but also the screen inverter.

Matt

I think the last time the cables and inverter were changed was with the screen mid-last year, but it had been changed multiple times before that with no difference. But seemings the screen works on XP with a certain driver, I would doubt the inverter (or any hardware) to be purely the cause.

Edited by epirater

• 1 year later...

Hi People,

I should have posted this at the time as the issue was resolved soon after, but I will now.

My friend thought maybe whatever detected the lid-open-state could be the cause. He moved a strong magnet around the top cover and when it was near the touchpad magically the screen came on! The magnet at the front centre under the top cover must have got stuck and reported to the system that the lid was closed, hence making it not display anything. So for at least a year, that's all it was! If anyone else has a similar issue it may be that the physical device the system uses to detect the lid-open state is problematic. In this model it can probably be replaced as part of the Palm Rest.

Tom

Edited by epirater