LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Is there ANY driver for GT540M WinXP x32 ???

asparagus

I was trying to install WinXP x32 on the Acer Aspire 5742g, with that great graphics card.

Somehow i cant get myself to use Windows 7. Prolly no applications support.

Spend lots of time finding all the drivers and had to get about 1/3 of them from the manufacturer or somewhere,

there is only one misssing... the GT 540M driver !!!

So: Is there anything out there that would install as VGA driver for the GT 540M ?!

Please post anything if there are news, cause i dont know what to do with such a notebook and no graphics drivers except the intel GMA from the CPU.

Thanks a lot !!

• 2 months later...

I was trying to install WinXP x32 on the Acer Aspire 5742g, with that great graphics card.

Somehow i cant get myself to use Windows 7. Prolly no applications support.

Spend lots of time finding all the drivers and had to get about 1/3 of them from the manufacturer or somewhere,

there is only one misssing... the GT 540M driver !!!

So: Is there anything out there that would install as VGA driver for the GT 540M ?!

Please post anything if there are news, cause i dont know what to do with such a notebook and no graphics drivers except the intel GMA from the CPU.

Thanks a lot !!

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I'm curious as to why you want to stick to Win XP despite proper lack of driver support.

AFAIK Win7 32bit has great application compatibility - it is the x64 guys who tear out their hair in frustration (although their case would be the same or even worse with WinXP x64).

If you get Win 7 x86 (32 bit) Professional or better, you have the option of installing XP Mode (the Win 7 flavour of VirtualPC) which will run legacy apps in a more or less native XP environment. Not available on lesser flavours of Win 7 though, so those with home and student versions are out.

There are many features in graphics drivers - like hybrid graphics and optimus - that are not supported in WinXP. If you have to use WinXP, I suppose switching one graphics adapter off will allow you to use a standard (non hybrid) driver. Read the thread 'Optimus on hybrid graphics' for tips on how to turn one graphics adapter off and install drivers for the other one.

Edited by anytimer

AFAIK Win7 32bit has great application compatibility - it is the x64 guys who tear out their hair in frustration (although their case would be the same or even worse with WinXP x64).

If you get Win 7 x86 (32 bit) Professional or better, you have the option of installing XP Mode (the Win 7 flavour of VirtualPC) which will run legacy apps in a more or less native XP environment. Not available on lesser flavours of Win 7 though, so those with home and student versions are out.

There are many features in graphics drivers - like hybrid graphics and optimus - that are not supported in WinXP. If you have to use WinXP, I suppose switching one graphics adapter off will allow you to use a standard (non hybrid) driver. Read the thread 'Optimus on hybrid graphics' for tips on how to turn one graphics adapter off and install drivers for the other one.

I was worried about the transfer myself, but Win 7 has proven compatible with most any x86 app I've thrown at it. DOS apps seem to dislike x64, but hey...