LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer Aspire 5920g Upgrade

Goldfinger82

Hey,

I just bought a 9500M GS and tried to upgrade using the DIY of Acer guy, however it doesnt work (not that im blaming him for that). The problem seems to be that it doesnt boot up. It just kind of tries for a second, since i can hear the fan, but after a few more seconds its like “i can’t be bothered”. the blue light turns on, the hd runs at first and then u get the caps lock flash.. but the screen never lights up. When using the old 8600m gt card it works (but the card is messed up, i get errors in the picture, both horizontaly and verticaly).

This is the card i have upgraded to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=320651454015&si=fXCMNF9sIRbCiqqDrIOy%252BR1wwL0%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ACOSI%3AUS%3A1123

in advance thanks for any suggestions

Hi

I have an acer 5920g with a 9650m gt ddr2 card in works perfect. It could be the card you are trying to use is a ddr3 card and it will not work with the board, and you can't flash the board to make it work either, been there tried that with a 9600m gt card which was a ddr3. So the answer to your question is if it's ddr2 it should work if not give up the ghost mate. hope this will help you.

Also do not buy second hand off ebay as you dont know if they work if they have been used. Always spend a bit more for one's that are brand new and sealed.

Yeah i know, but i didnt find anyone selling them directly. I even called and emailed Acer but they had "no idea how to do that". Tried some different webshops, and they didnt have it either.

I dont think it has ddr3, but u never know. Im trying to blind flash it now, but its kinda hard to know whats happening (btw does anyone know what this piping is for knowing whats going on on the screen?).

The original 8600m gt works but i get these damn errors (like both horizontaly and verticaly) which looks like someone took a small rake and ran it along the screen. not very easy to use (but windows loads and such).

BR,

me

• 1 month later...

Hello, i have the very same problem, i bought the same card off ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190503154922#ht_586wt_905 and as you can see it comes from another acer, so i suppose the bios is ok.

The screen wont give any sign of life, and i dont know how to tell if its ddr2 or 3, but i think its 2.

Can anyone help me? I didnt find anything specific on how to blind flash this card.

• 1 month later...

Try the patched system BIOS I posted on Notebookreview. The 5920G's BIOS contains a corrupted MXM structure - in this BIOS, the MXM structure has been rebuilt, hopefully allowing the card to detect the internal LCD panel.