LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dangers of a clean install?

zipper

I have wondered why my 3DMark Vantage results with recent drivers have dropped by 4 - 6% compared to ½ year old drivers. So I tried to go back to those "faster" ones. They were better but the results were worse than originally. So I tried a clean install and swept NVidia files several times. No help but: I lost my external monitor settings and after trying 5 - 6 different drivers I couldn't get my external to show up. It's connected via VGA and showed up just as a projector and then it wasn't possible to create custom modes for it. Luckily I had a restore point to get my settings back. But the mystery of wanting Vantage performance persists. I can't figure what's changed to lower my results from ca. 5500 to 5200 with the same driver. Mystery so far. Many many hours going back and forth for nothing...

Not SP1 causing the Handbrake to stick ?

One of the possibilities. Problem is I don't really know when it happened.

Yeah, I've experienced the same thing but I don't have time to investigate the issue right now :). Just wanted to let you know that it's not your laptop in particular.

No connection to the hardware I think, as it happens just with 3DMark Vantage (DX10), the older benchmarks do work like before.

Have you tried this with the latest version of 3dMarkVantage 1.1.0 ?

Of course, but didn't check if it had some influence into the results. Must check my install/update date.

Guest binghar

From my own experience of Asus they sometimes under clock their graphics cards, a guick google search found a couple of people reporting that same on the G51J...

Asus underclocked the GTX 260M in the G51J from the defaults of 550/1375/950 to 500/1250/800 for heat management issues, but im wondering how much extra performance can be squeezed out of the system by 'overclocking' the GPU to its default speeds and beyond. I'm also curious to know how this affect the systems temps!

Just wondering if at some point you had changed this in the past and the new drivers have reverted back to the defaults?

Possibly check the clock speeds using GPUZ or similar...

From my own experience of Asus they sometimes under clock their graphics cards, a guick google search found a couple of people reporting that same on the G51J...

Just wondering if at some point you had changed this in the past and the new drivers have reverted back to the defaults?

Possibly check the clock speeds using GPUZ or similar...

wow thats sad. I have my geforce 260m GTX running at clocks of 260M GTX OC'd Core 700mhz Memory 1100mhz Shader 1750Mhz Volt 1.03v(bios flash) but i have run into a small lag problem software or drivers that are lag spiking and slowing things down.

Even 550/950/1375 is too much occasionally for G51J (default 500/800/1250) so the oc margin is low. I always stick to the defaults except for brief oc tests earlier - don't find them necessary anymore.