LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Is it possible to Convert a Quadro NVS 120m into a Geforce 7400 go?

aduy

I have a Dell Latitude D820 with a Core 2 Duo T7200 2.00Ghz processor, 2gb of ram and an Nvidia Quadro NVS 120m. Occasionally i like to play games on it, but it always lags, even on games like battle field 2 with the graphics set all the way low on single player(offline). I have done some research and found out that the NVS 120m, which is based on the Ge-force 7400 go, is not meant for gaming, it is meant for 2d content creation. As far as I know the only difference between the two cards is the amount of memory, 7400 go has 128mb 120m has 256mb, and the bios or software on the card. What I was wondering was if it would be possible to change the graphics card from a Quadro NVS 120m, into a Ge-force 7400 go, in order to improve the 3d performance for gaming. I have already tried using modded INFs but they did not provide a performance increase. Any help would be greatly appreciated. also the driver im using right now is 265.90

Edited by aduy

Hi, I'm not sure whether it would be worth it to flash it to a GO 7400, as I still don't think it would be able to play modern games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 in the lowest details. Have a look at this link, it's a comparison of almost every single graphics card and whether they can play a certain game at different detail settings:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

Search for you prospective GO 7400 in there, and you'll find that it can't play any of the modern games (according to that website at least!).

I don't know if you can flash your NVS 120m to a GO 7400, because the RAM size is different, but I'm not sure, but I don't think it would make much of a difference even if you could.

Hope this helps, Rob.

thanks for replying

I wasn't talking about bad company 2, I was talking about battlefield 2

which is from 2006 or 2005. If you look at the benchmarks the 7400 has

a slight advantage, but im fairly certain that the nvs 120m was designed

for 2D content creation, and the 7400 Go is for 3d gaming.

Quadro NVS 120m

3DMark 06 - 660 (3%)

Ge-force 7400 go

3DMark 06 - 709.3 (3%)

I'm still a little confused about the difference between the two chips. Is

the only difference the Ge-force driver or is it something located

in the chipset's bios

And I have played bfbc2 on my computer but i only get about 2 frames per

second. somehow i even managed to fly a helicopter and capture a few bases.