compatability issue with win7 and Geforce Go 7900 Gs

jonKSA

I've had this laptop since 06.

Gateway nx860xl

Core2Duo T7200 2.0 ghz

2GB DDR2

Win7 Ultimate 64x

Geforce Go 7900gs

Since running win7 I haven't had any use of the gfx card. It was running fine at first but windows update downloaded a microsoft driver for it automatically that caused my whole computer to lock up. After a system restore, reinstalling the drivers for the gpu, and more freeze ups I gave up and ran with onboard gfx for a while. I've got the itch to get this comp running as well as it can again but I can't find a single driver for win7. There's limited support on the nvidia site with a 179.xx driver but it causes windows to boot to a black screen. There is nothing on the gateway support site. I realize that there's probably no official support for win7 with this card, but there's no way I can revert back to vista since I'm overseas. Any and all help/suggestions would be very appreciated.

Edited by jonKSA

Try one of these, most all neglected cards are supported by them (including yours) http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers?dev=0298⊂=&whql=0〈=0&orderby=version&dir=desc&os=

Edited by ricktendo64

I gave several of the drivers on the list a go but each one of them, after installation, caused windows to boot to a black screen. It would make it past the win7 loading animation but that was it. I can't tell if it was locked up or not, but I'd have power the comp down and boot back into safe mode before i could do anything. With the driver installed but disabled, I can still boot windows normally. Any thoughts? Hardware malfunction maybe?