LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Any hope for a HP HDX 9490OE with 8800M GTS?

SDplus

I stumbled upon all this MXM business while weeping for the demise of the really big laptops.

This one is a massive 20.1" 1920x1200 display laptop, and there simply is nothing like it left on the market, or planned as far as I know.

So naturally I wanted to see if there was any hope for an upgrade. Reading a bit about MXM, and looking at the service pdf ( http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01279508.pdf ) at page 83, it seems that this laptop is MXM type III. The cooling solution for this laptop is also pretty good.

However, what little I have found on upgrading HP laptops, it seems they lock the BIOS for the few MXM-card variations the motherboards comes shipped with in various incarnations.

But, on the other hand, all I find is older HP upgrade attempts.

So, what do you think? Any hope for extending the life of this one? Or should I bite the bullet and accept todays measly 16:9 offerings and get something like an alienware when this one simply cannot hack it anymore?

Actually, for now I can easily live with it, as I do mainly use my desktop systems, but I travel more and more, and I'm starting to miss some of the later games when on the road. So I have to start thinking about these things.

Guest Eugene2878

I stumbled upon all this MXM business while weeping for the demise of the really big laptops.

This one is a massive 20.1" 1920x1200 display laptop, and there simply is nothing like it left on the market, or planned as far as I know.

So naturally I wanted to see if there was any hope for an upgrade. Reading a bit about MXM, and looking at the service pdf ( http://h10032.www1.h...l/c01279508.pdf ) at page 83, it seems that this laptop is MXM type III. The cooling solution for this laptop is also pretty good.

However, what little I have found on upgrading HP laptops, it seems they lock the BIOS for the few MXM-card variations the motherboards comes shipped with in various incarnations.

But, on the other hand, all I find is older HP upgrade attempts.

So, what do you think? Any hope for extending the life of this one? Or should I bite the bullet and accept todays measly 16:9 offerings and get something like an alienware when this one simply cannot hack it anymore?

Actually, for now I can easily live with it, as I do mainly use my desktop systems, but I travel more and more, and I'm starting to miss some of the later games when on the road. So I have to start thinking about these things.

Currently some guys on the notebookreview.com forum trying to modify bios for HDx to be able to work properly with 280m gtx card. No luck so far. But we hope for better.