LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Windows 8 Developer Preview Build 8102 M3, my first thoughts

mobilenvidia

Grabbed this earlier today along with 500,000 others in 12 hours.

Also grabbed Oracle VM Virtual Box v4.1.2 as this was supposed to be able to install it virtually.

But both my machines refused to boot from the virtual media.

So ISO put on my bootable USB stick and installed just fine.

Took somewhat longer than build 7989 to install (or I'm getting more impatient as I get older)

Once installed I was greeted with a screen full of colourful boxes.

To me looked very jumbled.

I noticed when cursor placed at bottom left corner of screen the start bar would appear, once clicked the old desktop pops up.

Pressing start again, brings back the first desktop.

I seemed to find no way to actually bring up the start menu to run or open anything, very annoying

Luckily I managed to get My Computer icon on the desktop to do stuff.

The desktop gets a big :( from me

There are numerous changes from, build 7989, looking more like a new OS than just Win7 updated.

Not sure how Win8 will pan out, still pre-beta so no doubt a gazillion changes to follow.

Your thoughts on the subject ?

[uPDATE]

Yikes, this install ate the entire clean 20GB partition I setup for it :(

No room to even install a full Forceware driver.

Supposedly less memory used but absolutely eats HDD space

Be warned 30GB plus to test this OS is recommended.

Just my Windows folder takes up 36GiB for Windows 7 64-bit, I wouldn't expect Windows 8 to use much less (especially after using it for a while).

To remove the crappy Metro nonsense on Win 8 (who needs this on a desktop computer?) go to system32 folder and rename xshsxs.dll to something else (don't do this when you use live id for login) or go to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer] and set "RPEnabled" to "0". This will switch off all metro crap and you will have your good old Win 7 desktop back.

Just my Windows folder takes up 36GiB for Windows 7 64-bit, I wouldn't expect Windows 8 to use much less (especially after using it for a while).

Win 7 when first installed with no Apps I'm sure fitted in <15GB

Win 8 build 7989 was 17GB

The "screen of boxes" is the new startmenu, and you can simply type in something like with the Windows 7 menu and it'll automatically search for it.

Yes upon closer look somethings looked familiar, but it would look much better on a phone/tablet

To remove the crappy Metro nonsense on Win 8 (who needs this on a desktop computer?) go to system32 folder and rename xshsxs.dll to something else (don't do this when you use live id for login) or go to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer] and set "RPEnabled" to "0". This will switch off all metro crap and you will have your good old Win 7 desktop back.

I'll give this a try and save my sanity, the idea is there, but needs much better implementation.

This is just a dev preview, don't judge the UI based on this preview. Windows 8 final will have a traditional desktop.

Win 7 when first installed with no Apps I'm sure fitted in <15GB

Yeah, it's pretty amazing how much it manages to grow. You wouldn't think just updates and drivers could take up that much, but it's not like I ever intentionally install anything there, and I've heard similar numbers elsewhere.

Edited by Ver Greeneyes

Windows 8 final will have a traditional desktop.

The x86/x64 versions will, the tablet and phone versions will not. Microsoft are trying to move all applications over to metro, so whether you get the red pill on the final version remains to be seen.

I quite enjoy the challenge of getting used to new usage patterns. I remember when the start menu came along and everyone hated it & would make jokes about how you have to click start to turn your computer off (although the jokers didn't appreciate it when you told them that you were starting the shutdown).

The new start menu is likely to improve before release, because otherwise there will be no reason to upgrade. Disabling the metro start menu and you lose alot of other functionality (new task manager, explorer ribbon bar etc).

I've not installed much but all the things I did install showed up on the new start menu & you can re-arrange the items. However the default way of viewing the icons isn't pretty, but I haven't looked whether you can currently change it & that is one of the things that I expect Microsoft will address.

If instead of setting the registry key to 0, you set it to another number (say 2) then the old start menu appears but you get the new task manager (but not the explorer ribbon bar).

Nice post!!

They're still making an x86 version? I thought after Windows 7, all versions to follow would be only 64 bit?