LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell XPS m1710, enable a resolution that was working with old Dell driver, but not with the Nvidia one

Maverick69

Hi,

I've searched but found nothing relevant and I'm not sure what to do.

I have recently bought a Dell XPS M1710 with a 7950 GTX and Windows 7 64bit.

Here's my problem:

If I use the old Dell drivers, I have the resolution I want, ie 1280x800 (I know I could have higher resolutions but don't like working in high resolutions), but it is unstable under some apps (Cinema 4D mainly) and have some bugs in games (missing items in Portal 2).

So I use the latest NVidia driver working under Windows 7 64bit for my graphics card, the 179.48, but the 1280x800 resolution has disappeared from this driver, and I'm forced to use 1280x720, but the display is streched and feel non natural.

What can I do to enable 1280x800 again?

Thanks

Create a custom resolution via NVidia Control Panel.

It seems this option isn't available. Or I missed it. How do you do that?

Unfortunately, I confirm this option isn't available in the 179.48 driver.

Isn't there a way by modifying a .inf file?

Yes, for instance change every line that contains 1280x720 to 1280x800 in the inf and reinstall. But why don't you use the latest drivers - with a modified inf they should support your card.

I might do that but I'm a noob concerning inf files. I still have to learn a bit more before doing anything.

Could you guide me, because I'm a bit lost.

1 I install latest nvidia driver notebook version of NVIDIA site or the one on this page?

2 I download an inf file on this site, but which one? And can I be sure my card will be supported?

NVidia notebook driver support seems to begin from mobile 8.xxx cards so you need a modified inf.

Driver:

http://laptopvideo2g...047_win7x64.exe and this inf into the Display.Driver folder:

http://laptopvideo2g...x64/nv_disp.inf

Seems to work so far. I've got a scrambling screen at first and second reboot, but not any more (???). And nvtray throws me a runtime error when I right click on it but nothing redhibitory. I will probably remove nvtray since I can access nvidia tools by right clicking the Desktop.

Thanks a lot Zipper!

Hmmm, framerate seems not as good as previously in games*. :( Maybe, I should try with an older driver?

*It's hard to tell, just an impression.

Edited by Maverick69

Perhaps, the performance on newest drivers tends to go down with old hardware as it's not directly supported anymore. New drivers may yet be demanded with some new software. My 2+ years old card doesn't get performance enhancements anymore - rather the opposite.

That's what I think too. Anyway, I'll stay with that for a while to confirm my impressions before a possible change.

I'm now in 1440x900 with a 125% text size (better suit my needs with some apps), another resolution that disappeared from old driver...

Edited by Maverick69

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned earlier, I've installed this driver with the associated inf and it seems faster. It also supports a lot of resolutions. It's the best compromise so far.