LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Sony VAIO AR61ZU graphics update issue

Rinzler

Hello everyone! I am new to this site but I feel like I have to thank the people responsible for making it a reality because it can be life saving or should I say computer saving? ;)

I am here with a simple problem that has an oh-so-complicated solution.

I am rocking a Sony VAIO AR61ZU laptop with GeForce 8600M GT graphics card, 4GB RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo (T8300) processor with Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology @ 2.40 Ghz

This laptop costed me 3000 Euros in the end of 2007 and with it's graphics card, it's Blu-Ray driver/recorder and it's 17'' 1920x1200 X-black LCD I've been enjoying World of Warcraft and all it's 3 expansions in maximum detail. Only the view distance was lowered and the shadows were at mid range, meaning the buildings and environment did not have smart shadows.

I was invited to the weekend beta test of the Old Republic by BioWare and upon installing and launching the client I got an error message saying that my graphics drivers needed to be updated to at least 195.62 version.

Fine so far.

The unfortunate thing is that Sony has this program running called VAIO Update or VAIO link and that program is the only way to update the machine's drivers. I went to Nvidia website, downloaded the latest drivers for my GFX card but "the software was incompatible with the hardware recognised" because Sony has locked any outside update!

What I am asking here is, does any of you guys have a similar issue with Sony Vaio machines and more importantly, does anyone know how it can be fixed??

Driver updates is such an easy and routine job but Sony simply renders my whole laptop useless because of this!

Thanks for reading guys and any help is much appreciated.

I am not a hacker nor am I a programmer. I'm just a regular guy with regular computer knowledge that has a regular job and loves playing games in his spare time. What I'm asking is this,

1. If I upgrade to Windows 7, will Sony's "locking mechanism" be overwritten / deleted therefore I can update my drivers from Nvidia freely

2. Is there a modified driver in LV2Go that corresponds to my laptop and will allow for a graphics update?

Thank you in advance and sorry for my long post, I'm just so frustrated by this.

P.S. as the game's client indicated, my (Sony's) latest and current version of the drivers for my GeForce 8600M GT is 167.60 and I need at least 195.62 to be able to play the game.

Edited by Rinzler

After browsing the forums as well as the drivers and walkthroughs I saw that there might be a glimpse of hope for my laptop to be updated. But I'm not a computer genius and I would really appreciate any help as to which driver would be the most fitting one for my Vaio VGN AR61ZU.

Thanks again in advance guys.

Edited by Rinzler

try this: (backup first in case anything happens)

this version is 285.38 (latest beta) and it supports 8600m gt.

go http://forums.laptop...dia-oem-mobile/

download driver

download modified inf

run driver : it will fail on the first run

go to C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\285.38\WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver (or wherever u extracted the files) and paste the downloaded inf inside (replacing the old one)

run the driver again : it should install

reboot and it's done

hope it helps

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Rinzler

try this: (backup first in case anything happens)

this version is 285.38 (latest beta) and it supports 8600m gt.

go http://forums.laptop...dia-oem-mobile/

download driver

download modified inf

run driver : it will fail on the first run

go to C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\285.38\WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver (or wherever u extracted the files) and paste the downloaded inf inside (replacing the old one)

run the driver again : it should install

reboot and it's done

hope it helps

Thanks a lot my friend! Rick ty too of course! :)

I did everything the way you explained and it worked like a charm!!