LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Windows XP modded INF to try

mobilenvidia

Yikes not since 265.90 has there been a modded XP INF here.

A few things have changes since then.

I've just modded 290.36 for your convenience could those eagerly awaiting this mod please give it a try.

I'm able to test the INF as I'm a HDD down

Any and all feedback welcomed

Hi!

I've tried your modded iNF file.

Over the Setup.exe it normally says, that my Graphic Card isn't supported.

After replacing the INF File, it says now: Some important Files are missing.

Over the System Manager / Graphic Card, i could install the driver: It updates the drivers as Geforce 9400M, not as Geforce 9400 as I thought.

After the Reboot, it fades into a black Screen after the Windows XP Logo and reboots again.

I could reinstall the latest Drivers from NVIDIA over the Safe Mode.

It's sad that I have to play Skyrim with Drivers from March 2011 :/

But thanks anyway for trying it.

Greetings, Henrik from Austria

I'll do some investigating with this may need to make some room o HDD to boot to XP.

Okay. Thank you for taking the time and afford for my problem.

HA :), INF was fine driver I had uploaded had one file renamed wrongly in my Driver Squasher, I have fixed this.

Download driver again or rename nvuninst.ba to nvuninst.ba_ (Display.Driver directory) will do the same trick

Modded INF works, had a hell of a job getting XP installed, too many bits of HDD attached to my machine.

Need to do something drastic.

Forgot how long XP takes to install and needing drivers for anything new (Like LSI RAID cards)

Thanks mobilenvidia for your efforts!

I just can't believe people are STILL using XP in the first place... Come on people, it's over 10 years old now...

I guess you also could not believe that someone would want a 40 year old classic Mustang or a 100 year old bottle of wine..

Statistics show at least 20% of PC gamers still use Windows XP, and the percentage of use worldwide is actually much higher. The statistics are heavily skewed/biased in favor of Windows 7 because all new notebook/PC users are buying devices with Win7 already bundled.

Guest ShnikeJSB
I guess you also could not believe that someone would want a 40 year old classic Mustang or a 100 year old bottle of wine..

That's COMPLETELY different, LOL! What a shining example of a Straw Man argument... :lol1: By that, we should be using Windows 95 or DOS, because they get better with age.

It's COMPUTERS... A better comparison would be like someone still using VHS as their only home-theater experience.

Thanks for this helpful topic.

It may be of interest to you that my graphics card isn't recognized as nVidia GeForce 8600M GT but %NVIDIA_DEV.407.01%.

I assume that Henrik had the same Problem as described in this topic http://forums.laptop...42#entry140942.

Could it be that I would have to change it in the NVIDIA_DEVICES section of the inf file?

I also noticed the screen flickering just a little in irregular intervals now...just similar to the official 290 driver for linux.

Do you have any idea what could cause it? Just happens when typing or moving the mouse, ie. movement.

PS: Don't forget to remove your MP3 Player while rebooting. I thought I had screwed my MBR with the update :-/

@ShnikeJSB: Buy me a new notebook and/or windows 7 then I may stop using XP.

The car example is perfect btw. It doesn't get better with time...it always has been a good car.

And the bottle example is also good since the taste won't change in a bottle that much.

Your VHS example is not good since the tapes degrade over time which lowers the quality (you can keep a car in good shape and take care of it...that would be harder with vhs)

I'll have a look at the GPU table there could be an issue with DEV.407 in the INF

[strings]

DiskID1 = "NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Driver Library Installation Disk 1"

NVIDIA = "NVIDIA"

;GPU's by www.laptopvideo2go.com

for me seems to have just the desktop cards? (and the developers (?) mobile mostly quadros...)

OK, yes how did that happen.

Looks like the Desktop strings only, can't quite work that out.

I'll redo the INF and update it to INF v4.097

Weird