LaptopVideo2Go Forums

The future of LCD panels is here, first hands on with Embedded Display Port

Bill

I just got my hands on some 720p and 1080p Embedded Display Port LCDs. These things don't use the traditional clunky laptop-style LVDS interface, they use regular display port signaling. (like you would get out of a port on the back of your PC)

If I can hook the power and cables up correctly, I should be able to plug these into my desktop computer and turn them on.

The LCDs I have are 13.1 inches, so I have the smallest 1080p display that I have ever seen currently. However the award for the smallest 720p display that I have seen goes to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which is pictured.

I have acquired the small custom cables that you see pictured, the wires and connectors are very small. I have chopped up a display port cable, and I will hook them together.

I have also acquired a 2.5V power supply to run the panels. If this all works I will make some adapter circuit boards for these things.

The manufacturer originally said these 1080p panels cost $90, but these first gen ones that my friend got cost like $300, so you might see them in an expensive tablet later this year. (and homemade video projectors) Not only are these panels small but they are thinner and have less electronics and bezel spacing than traditional laptop LCDs.

Now for the first round of pictures before I solder it up and find a way to catch something on fire after plugging it into my pretty new Sandy Bridge desktop PC.

720p LCD next to LOTR Blu Ray extended edition

DSC02156.jpg

LED power connector (I think)

DSC02161.jpg

Embedded display port connector

DSC02162.jpg

Ruler next to connector, the marking is an inch

DSC02168.jpg

Back of 1080p panel

DSC02174.jpg

Front of 1080p panel

DSC02177.jpg

Front of 1080p panel compared to Samsung Galaxy Nexus (LTE version) 4.65 inch 720p LCD

DSC02185.jpg

Display port cable chopped up. If you look closely, you will notice the purple power wire is NOT connected. This is intentional.

DSC02212.jpg

Half of a display port cable next to the 30 pin custom LCD cable.

DSC02224.jpg

Closer...

DSC02225.jpg

Close up of pins on the connector and the thin wires (index finger)

DSC02228.jpg

I will be back with more pictures if I can make the LCD run.

Bill

PS: Attached is the spec sheet for the 1080p panel.

B131HW02 V0_PSpec v1.0_20101217.pdf

Well done Bill, good luck with getting it to work

That is very nice!

Now if they could only make them 16:10 ...

• 6 months later...

Did it work Bill?!

I am tempted to try this myself. Embedded Display Port is a great advancement!

Where did you get the 30 pin embedded displayport connector, how much did it cost?

Looking over the AUO B131HW02 V0 spec sheet, specifically pages 15 and 16, it looks like a fairly promising venture.

Comparing the DisplayPort pins and the B131HW02 V0 pins I am curious how you connected it up.

Specifically the LED Cathode and LED Anode terminals, did you use a 5V power supply for those pins?

What did you do with DisplayPort Connector Pin 19, Return, and Pin 20, DP_PWR?

The 3.3V spec for the power connector and the +3.3V signally spec of DisplaPort seem in conflict with the 2.5V (page 3) max +3V (page 12) spec of the LCD panel.

Here is my plan:

Produce a circuit with a DisplayPort connector and an Embedded Displayport connector to accomodate the two cables you aquired.

Provide a common ground on the circuit and two power sources, one 2.5V and the other 5V.

B131HW02 V0 I-PEX Terminal No. -> DisplayPort Connector Pin

Terminal 1 -> Pin 18

Terminal 2 -> NC

Terminal 3 -> Pin 6

Terminal 4 -> Pin 4

Terminal 5 -> Pin 3

Terminal 6 -> Pin 1

Terminal 7 -> Pin 17

Terminal 8 -> Pin 15

Terminal 9 -> NC

Terminal 10 -> NC

Terminal 11 -> NC

Terminal 12 -> NC

Terminal 13 -> GND

Terminal 14 -> GND

Terminal 15 -> GND

Terminal 16 -> GND

Terminal 17 -> GND

Terminal 18 -> GND

Terminal 19 -> NC

Terminal 20 -> NC

Terminal 21 -> NC

Terminal 22 -> GND

Terminal 23 -> GND

Terminal 24 -> GND

Terminal 25 -> 2.5V+

Terminal 26 -> 2.5V+

Terminal 27 -> 2.5V+

Terminal 28 -> NC

Terminal 29 -> 5V+

Terminal 30 -> 5V+

DisplayPort Connector Pin -> B131HW02 V0 I-PEX Terminal No.

Pin 1 -> Terminal 6

Pin 2 -> Terminal 22

Pin 3 -> Terminal 5

Pin 4 -> Terminal 4

Pin 5 -> GND

Pin 6 -> Terminal 3

Pin 7 -> NC

Pin 8 -> GND

Pin 9 -> NC

Pin 10 -> NC

Pin 11 -> GND

Pin 12 -> NC

Pin 13 -> GND

Pin 14 -> GND

Pin 15 -> Terminal 8

Pin 16 -> GND

Pin 17 -> Terminal 7

Pin 18 -> Terminal 1

Pin 19 -> NC

Pin 20 -> NC

It doesn't use 5V for the backlight, you need around 30-31V. (maybe less since it got hot at that voltage) You most likely will not make it work by soldering wires together, I had to build a circuit board first to get it running. I am working on getting a newer LCD side cable with a proper connector on it. Then I can make some rev2 boards and start selling them. The signal is difficut to get transported well. You need the power supplies separated out and everything. If you don't have experience with EMC (or aren't crazy) you probably shouldn't attempt making an adapter. Signals also need to be length matched.

• 2 months later...

Hey Bill!

I finally got my hands on a replacement LCD for, the LG LP154WT1, the new 15" retina Macbook Pro.

The connector looks exactly like the eDP in your pictures.

Unfortuantely I have not been able to get my hands on the data sheet for the display.

I am still waiting on my eDP cable to get in, I need a better source than Alibaba Express I guess; an suggestions?

You really need to get your eDP to DP board together, I will take a dozen!

Any more input from your expereince with the B131HW02 on getting this display working would be great!

Edited by Bartoku

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bill -and others- I have few questions regarding eDP. It is really new and I wasn't able to find much documentations on it other than the VESA and Intel one.

1. Do eDPs require some sort of LCD driver boards like LVDS?-I mean after all, eDP is going to replace LVDS.

2. Can you just use a custom-made eDP to DP cable to hook up eDP LCD panels? There was a similar intel experiment where they used eDP to DP to do a capture test. Link: http://download.intel.com/design/intarch/PAPERS/323931.pdf

I'm building a custom portable computer. It's a bit complicated but basically a small mini-ITX in a backpack with a large battery pack. It is going to have a wired touch screen interface, so that I can use it like most tablet PCs but with much better performance and customization. I've used a large AMP20*8 batteries from A123, connected to a battery micro controller and a pico DC-DC Psu. This powers my KTQM77/mITX board and the processor. So far so good.

The motherboard has both LVDS and eDP-although I'm not sure if it has controllers for them. I wanted to use a replacement screen for iPad retina LP097QX1-SPA1 via eDP with the motherboard. The question is is it going to work like a plug n play-with small driver configuration, or will I have to get a LCD board and program it?

Here is the spec for the motherboard: http://us.kontron.com/products/boards+and+mezzanines/embedded+motherboards/miniitx+motherboards/ktqm77mitx.html, you can download the spec sheet from them.

John

• 3 weeks later...

The connector is 2023344-2, costs next to nothing. http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/2023344-2/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhs5U0EacsbOnPqGmIkLigvY9IVtexCCr8%3d http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/2023344-2/A101498-ND/2627319?cur=USD

The question is where to get a cable (the Intel link provided by legokangpalla provides the layout but I would love a somewhat professionally made cable) -- my understanding is that the signaling is the same only the power is the challenge. I am really really really curious for a solution cos you can get a LP154WT1 for around 250 dollars. I am considering buying any broken laptop for the chassis, gut it completely, put the nice 2880x1800 display into it -- perfect travel monitor for a fair price (my laptop has a normal sized DisplayPort output). All it needs is a cable...

Edited by chx

• 4 weeks later...

This cable might work with tthe DQ77KB;

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-New-Cable-For-ACES-88441-40-Pin/410924_575952357.html

Is it the correct type?

Can someone post the Intel PDF as the link appears to be broken:

http://download.intel.com/design/intarch/PAPERS/323931.pdf

first of all, I want to say hello to everyone - this my first post

second - any progress?
I found thread after looking for lvds/eDP panels.
My point is, I just  want to make hi res monitor from 3 laptop screens.

At first my ideas was to use 3x WUXGA + 3x universal lvds converters to DVI, but if I can buy 3x eDP panels and basicly plug them to displayport output (plus ofcourse additional power if required) will be great.
So only cable problems is hold me to do this.

The connector is 2023344-2, costs next to nothing. http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/2023344-2/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhs5U0EacsbOnPqGmIkLigvY9IVtexCCr8%3d http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/2023344-2/A101498-ND/2627319?cur=USD

The question is where to get a cable (the Intel link provided by legokangpalla provides the layout but I would love a somewhat professionally made cable) -- my understanding is that the signaling is the same only the power is the challenge. I am really really really curious for a solution cos you can get a LP154WT1 for around 250 dollars. I am considering buying any broken laptop for the chassis, gut it completely, put the nice 2880x1800 display into it -- perfect travel monitor for a fair price (my laptop has a normal sized DisplayPort output). All it needs is a cable...

That might involve a DP cable dangling out of your laptop...which can be aesthetically challenging.

I found a motherboard that supports eDP connector and in a process of putting together a sudo-laptop with  LP129QE1.

The pin outs on both sides are really neat, however I am having trouble finding the corresponding I-PEX mate.

That might involve a DP cable dangling out of your laptop...which can be aesthetically challenging.

I think not much problem will be to unsolder dp conector and put smaller 20pin inside for easier connection

Edited by duniek

• 2 months later...

I was wondering if there was any more progress on this front? 

Ideally I'd like to use a 13" Retina Display from Taobao or similar Chinese source and using it as an external display. 

Since eDP is (I am hoping) apparently compatible with DisplayPort? Could I use it as a portable external Display with any machine that supports DisplayPort output and can support 2560x1600 resolution? 

If so, then how do I go about it? I'd love to do this. 

• 1 month later...

If I bought a laptop with EDP port and HD panel, would i be correct in assuming that I could then upgrade this panel to FHD one without needing to switch the cable (like you needed to do with LVDS)? Asus zenbook UX31 looks very tasty if its HD panel is user upgradeable to FHD... :)

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to drive a 13.3" N133HSE-EA1 1920x1080 panel from a mini Display Port output (and an external power source)

Panel spec PDF; http://www.hklvhua.com/uploads/soft/201308/1_21113009.pdf

uEjIPpll.jpg

5q3k8Xfl.png

from; http://www.displayport.net/faq-about-displayport/

The description on sink Pins 13 and 14 is slightly unclear to me:
"May either be directly connected to ground or connected to ground through a pulldown device"
Should I connect eDP Pins 15+16 (gnd) to sink 13+14 or stay safe and use sink 2 (gnd) ?

sink 19 "Return for power" uh what?

UcjBP5kl.png

eDP Pins 26-29 LED_VCCS BL Power - I gather should be fed 12v (not Vl of ~27v)

Thinking micro arduino to control eDP Pins 22 LED_EN & 23 LED_PWM

Edited by Thermionix