LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Disable driver signature enforcement or Enable low-res video mode in Win 8 CP

Infinity7

Disable driver signature enforcement or Enable low-resolution video mode

in Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Works with 64-bit)

Select Settings (right bar)/More PC Settings (at bottom)

Then go General/Advanced Startup/Restart Now/Troubleshoot/Advanced Options/Windows Startup Settings/Restart

As your PC is starting up be pressing F8 to get to the menu where you can choose to

Disable driver signature enforcement or Enable low-resolution video mode or Enable safe mode.

Also do a search within Window Settings, find topic called Change Device Installation Settings, and choose your options.

After doing all of these steps I was able to install driver 295.18, however Windows did not know I had a NVidia card installed anymore and I had no display adaptors showing up in Device Manager. Windows was then using some generic display adaptor that was not visible in Device Manager anywhere.

I was able to get out of the predicament by going back to an earlier System Restore point after which Device Manager showed my video card as an unknown device in the Other section and I was able to do update driver, automatically search, it pulled in the NVidia driver off of Windows Updates again, and then Windows knew I had a GTX 580 and it showed up in Device Manager properly.

Edited by Infinity7

I don't understand what this procedure is supposed to fix.

I was able to install 295.73 in the straightforward way and found none of the mentioned issues.

I don't understand what this procedure is supposed to fix.

I was able to install 295.73 in the straightforward way and found none of the mentioned issues.

It is a procedure for installing NVidia drivers which are not driver 295.73.

That's why you didn't understand. You didn't try to install a NVidia driver which was not 295.73.

There would be no need to disable driver signature enforcement for driver 295.73 because Windows is happy with the driver signature already.

Edited by Infinity7

I get it now.

I think this would be much useful with a title along the lines of "how to install unsigned video drivers in Windows 8" or something.

Just saying.