LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Benchmarks: Windows 8 CP vs Windows 7

Infinity7

It has been wondered if Windows 8 is going to be a better gaming platform for games than Windows 7. Heaven 3.0 Benchmark was recently released so it was used for this test. NVidia driver 296.17 was used for testing on both Windows versions even though NVidia recommends that particular driver for Windows 8 only.

Test Machine: i7 975 cpu@4.22 GHz, GTX 580, 1920 x 1080 res, driver 296.17

Test Settings: 4x AA, 4x Anisotropic, High Textures, Ambient Occlusion off

Scores - Min FPS - Avg FPS - Max FPS

2325 ------ 39.0 ------ 92.3 ------ 191.8 ------ Windows 8 DX 9, 1st run

2330 ------ 38.7 ------ 92.5 ------ 192.1 ------ Windows 8 DX 9, 2nd run

2326 ------ 46.7 ------ 92.3 ------ 187.7 ------ Windows 7 DX 9, 1st run

2327 ------ 46.3 ------ 92.4 ------ 188.5 ------ Windows 7 DX 9, 2nd run

?

1823 ------ 34.2 ------ 72.4 ------ 170.0 ------ Windows 8 DX 11, Normal Tess, 1st run

1823 ------ 34.3 ------ 72.4 ------ 168.9 ------ Windows 8 DX 11, Normal Tess, 2nd run

1815 ------ 31.3 ------ 72.1 ------ 168.7 ------ Windows 7 DX 11, Normal Tess, 1st run

1823 ------ 33.4 ------ 72.4 ------ 169.4 ------ Windows 7 DX 11, Normal Tess, 2nd run

Conclusions:

In DirectX 9 tests the Min FPS value is noticeably higher on Windows 7 and that is going to be more important in a game than the Max FPS value.

In DirectX 11 tests the Min FPS value is only very slightly better on Windows 8 so for all practical purposes Win 7 and Win 8 are pretty much the same.

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

Edited by Infinity7

I've just installed the x64 CP on a VMware machine with 2GB of RAM and stock it took around 600MB with everything left untouched (no services disabled, I've tried to help myself here and it worked). I usually like a barebone approach, but 600MB is reasonable enough. I quite like what they've done with the interface. Finally it looks like they've put 5 minutes of thought into it, unlike previous OSs.

The performance in the virtual machine was quite good, unexpectedly for me, as I recall (with 2GB of RAM previously, now I have 4GB) that XP used to run the same stock for stock in VMwares of old.

It's quite an interesting thing this Windows 8 and at least in CP form it surprised me and quite frankly it's worth what Microsoft are going to charge for it, rather than 7 (in comparison to 8). You have to install VMware Tools to get it to work like on a normal PC, otherwise you're stuck with no hardware acceleration.

Other things I have to mention is that it's pretty snappy in my test environment (I have allocated 2GB of RAM and 20GB of HDD for the machine). Just so people know, the VMware virtual disk is now at around 8.54GB, so the install doesn't take a lot of HDD space. That I think is without the page file, temp files or hibernation file, but even so it is amazing. I expected 14GB just for the install alone.

If I'll get to install VMware Player again, I'll let you guys know what else I notice.

PS: This is a good one. Finally Microsoft is getting rid of the old idiotic Task Manager that has been with us since Windows NT/2000. Finally now Mark Russinovich's work with System Internals and their aquisition or whatever it was, by Microsoft, is paying off in the current Windows 8 CP new Task Manager. This one looks like the Process Explorer by MR, but made to look like it's part of the OS, rather than a separate tool. I quite like what they've done with it. I am curious whether it reports the right CPU utilisation, like Process Explorer does, instead of the "fake/slow" one the Windows 7 TM does.

Edited by FadeToBlack

I LOVE the new Task Manager...

But I CANNOT STAND Metro... I didnt like WP7 for it, and I sure as hell dont like it on my Desktop...

OTHER then MetroUI, I love Win8 so far... but unless they have the option to disable MetroPOS er I mean MetroUI in final, I will stick with Win7 and stick Win8 with its friends WinME and WinVista... every other release from MSFT has turned out to be FAIL...

Yeah, im raging, but I just think MetroUI is so ugly... SO EFFING UGLY...

It has the possibility for improvement. It is something new and probably you could disable Metro, but it's a step forward in evolution. Windows 95 -> 7 the desktop looks the same.

I fall somewhere in between you guys. I do like the changes in the plumbing. And while I don't much like the Metro UI, I don't really hate it either. I understand that Microsoft and Apple (and nearly everyone else) see tablets as the future of computing, but for serious computing (spreadsheets, writing, app development, photo editing and, yes, gaming), I don't think PCs and laptops will be disappearing anytime soon. Which is where I think Metro falls down. To me, it seems intended for phones and tablets and just gets in my way on a PC. It seems like it would be so easy to offer both the Metro interface and the traditional interface as Personalization options. Win/win for everyone.

You do still have both. And Metro is easy to navigate.

Post Windows 8 RTM To Do List:

- Disable Metro

- Enable Classic Start Menu

- Test final WDDM 2.0 drivers performance

- Test DPC latency once the system is fully configured

- Shake an angry fist at MS for still refusing to cater to users and not providing a USB Audio Class 2 driver

Post Windows 8 RTM To Do List:

- Disable Metro

- Enable Classic Start Menu

Check this out: http://www.zdnet.com/photos/the-metro-haters-guide-to-customizing-windows-8-consumer-preview/6350390?tag=siu-container;photo-frame#photo-frame

I found it today. It's called The Metro Haters Guide to Customizing Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Check this out: http://www.zdnet.com...ame#photo-frame

I found it today. It's called The Metro Haters Guide to Customizing Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

I have absolutely no need for that, I genuinely dislike most MS UI refreshes done over the past decade. I'm using a classic start menu through all my Windows installations, including Vista and 7, and Metro has nothing worthwhile to me. I just want the improved performance and stability of the refined kernel, not a mandatory new UI.

EDIT: Actually my classic start menu does have a search bar with an actually intelligent indexing system that only searches the start menu itself, not a system wide search request. It's all about a streamlined menu that requires no mouse interaction and takes seconds to do anything I want.

Edited by tribaljet