LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Win 8 Windows Updates has changed the 296.17 driver

Infinity7

The 64-bit Windows 8 NVidia 296.17 driver for my GTX 580 card off Windows Updates has changed today. I already had the driver installed but today Windows Updates wanted to update it. We'll have to investigate to see if we can tell what changed.

When it first came out it was an Optional Update with driver ID 200000362 located here: http://fg.v4.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2012/03/200000362_07dfffc4d95b942cc145cda2275ad422c9207b5c.cab

Today it is an Important Update with driver ID 4915 and is about 1MB larger in size located here: http://fg.v4.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2012/03/4915_93218e8fc76289f99775e6f9a5c9cb7cbfb982b3.cab

The update may be specific for certain models of cards so if you don't want to get it by the Windows Updates in Windows 8 you may want to check the Microsoft Update Catalog here: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx

Only thing they updated was nv_disp.cat (in the inf's only the date was changed)

Edited by ricktendo64

Only thing they updated was nv_disp.cat (in the inf's only the date was changed)

I couldn't find any other changes myself.

I noticed that after the changed version of the driver I have a small increase both in Experience Index and in benchmarks. I use nVIDIA GTS450 and 8600GT (for PhysX) and after updating, I got from 7.0 to 7.1 for Graphics and Gaming Graphics rate. In benchmarks, I have got a 1 - 2% better performance.

I noticed that after the changed version of the driver I have a small increase both in Experience Index and in benchmarks. I use nVIDIA GTS450 and 8600GT (for PhysX) and after updating, I got from 7.0 to 7.1 for Graphics and Gaming Graphics rate. In benchmarks, I have got a 1 - 2% better performance.

forgive me if i call bull on that. That is nothing more then standard deviation, you can get a .1 increase or decrease any time you do a winsat.

Edited by diceman2037

The reason they had to update it is because the cat was broken, digital signature did not work on win7

1653829451.png

forgive me if i call bull on that. That is nothing more then standard deviation, you can get a .1 increase or decrease any time you do a winsat.

I agree with you, but I have got a small increase in Heaven 3.0 (about 20 - 30 points)... It is very small increase though, so not an important change at all...It may also be the same as the previous one and maybe the momment I run the benchmark saw slightly better performance... I'll run it once more tomorrow to see...

Edited by bobo1704

still within standard deviation. benchmarks deviation allows for 2-3% swing either way.