LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Modding Sony NVIDIA .inf Files

Chrisfi

Many thanks to all who contribute to this forum. The information here has helped me modify the Sony released Vista 98.13 driver to work on my old Vaio VGN-S4XP for which there is no Vista or Win 7 support from Sony. I have almost tripled my Win 7 Experience Index and I even got the smartdimmer and Fn key dimming working!

However, I would like to go further and modify a more recent Win 7 specific driver, say, 187.83, but I don't fully understand the tweaks Sony have made to the stock Nvidia drivers. These include msdv.inf, FAEIDS, 16BPP, etc. Also, they don't have any 32 bit Win 7 drivers I could use as a base. Can anyone share their knowledge or point me in the right direction?

Finally, I would like to share how I modded the Vista driver, where would you suggest I post this? I was thinking the 98.13 Vista 32-bit thread....

Thanks

Chris

Thanks for the link, but I had already tried some of those. The modded inf is missing from some and whilst the others install, I don't get any of the screen brightness controls in power options, mobility centre or the Fn keys. I guess I will have to continue with my struggle to reverse engineer the Sony inf....

Edited by Chrisfi

You DONT really need a modded INF for any on that list, and I found with my vgn-ar870 8600 M, the 257.41 drivers gave me brightness control

Thanks again. You should note that I did try the non-modded INF first with all the drivers I have tried so far, but they would not install. I did try the 257.41 as you suggested, but again the non-modded INF did not work.

You will see from my profile that my very old Vaio has a GeForce Go 6200 TC card and from what I have read on this forum it is one of the cards you MUST use a modded INF on unless you install the laptop manufacturers provided drivers.

The driver has nv_whql.inf with support for many neglected gfx cards including yours, so you dont need to use a modded anything

%NVIDIA_DEV.0167.01% = Section003, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0167
NVIDIA_DEV.0167.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200"

Why its not installing is a mystery to me, try using pnputil.exe...to do so open a cmd prompt and type

pnputil -i -a nv_whql.inf

Edited by ricktendo64

Right, I tried 257.41 again and after a lot of searching I found the INF that you refer to hidden in the file additional_infs.zip. Once extracted to the main folder the driver installed. Thats the good news. The bad? No brightness controls at all. Not in Power Options, Mobility Centre or keyboard shortcut.