LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dangers of online driver scanning

zipper

I was trying to find a place to do an online scan for my laptop hardware drivers. To my big "delight" I managed to get a Smart HDD infection that launched loads of alerts and other problems. Can't be sure which site gave it for me - it almost scared s#*t out of me as my HD does have some minor problem that could creep bigger. Luckily just a restore got rid of that evil bug. ...And then I got it still another time - probably best to avoid searching " free online driver scan " anymore....

Your warning is very appropriate. I did the same thing a year or two ago hoping for an easier way to find drivers I didn't already know about. Not only did I fail to find any newer drivers, I got a boatload of infected crap. Fortunately, I use Casper to ghost my entire hard drive, so a simple hard drive swap had me back to normal in just a few minutes. It would have been scary otherwise.

Luckily I didn't suffer too much - but lost all my IE 9 Favourites - even the restore didn't get them back and I had to revert to irritating old ones. I had much trouble to get them back to IE 9 - it didn't load them straight from a file or Firefox.

We are sponsored by DriverAgent, let this be a lesson for you ;)

I think it just crashes for me - like a couple of other apps. Must check. No, it's OK. Except F-Secure Internet Security barfs on it...

DriverMax is pretty good.