LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell Inspiron 1525 - Windows 7 - Microphone not working

sibot

Hi,

I was using Windows Vista x86 and the microphone/speakers were working perfectly until very recently when I installed Windows 7 x86 on my Dell Inspiron 1525. Initially the microphone worked, but the volume levels were abysmally low, but soon enough that stopped working too. Now I can't get the microphone to work no matter what I try.

After reading alot, I found that installing the Sigmatel drivers available on the Dell website, (even though for Vista x86) would fix the problem. So I downloaded - http://www.dell.com/...oductCode=False and updated my chipset driver too.

I was able to install the Chipset driver but the Sigmatel driver fails to install returning an error - "ExitError.Error=Device Object not present, restart the system and run setup again.", after a few tries, it just gives the error that the driver is not meant for the hardware. After much searching on the web, I came across this goldmine of a forum.

It'll be much appreciated if anyone could provide any sort of help in getting the microphone to work again. Is there any specific custom driver that I can install for my laptop? I've tried searching on the forum a bit, but I really don't understand the driver codes. Any help or nudge in the right direction would be very very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sibot

Edited by sibot

@sibot: first provide the hardware device id number of your Sigmatel/IDT audio device on your Dell 1525 laptop.

Do this by opening Device Manager, expand the Sound, video and game controllers section, double-click on Sigmatel High Definition Audio CODEC to view its properties, click on the Details tab and change the device description to Hardware IDs.

post the hardware ID of your audio device here and then we can proceed further.