LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Have-Disk method: graphics card missing in device manager

Kailoq

I've been trying to install the latest drivers (301.42_win7x64) for my 8400m GT. First I uninstalled my curret Nvidia drivers. Next I booted into safe-mode and used Driver Sweeper to clear any leftovers.

I followed the guides, downloaded and extracted the latest drivers, replaced the .INF file and tried to use the setup, which failed. I tried to follow the Have-Disk method next, but unfortunately my graphics card isn't listed in the device manager, so I'm unable to load up the new driver.

The only entries are (roughly translated from dutch):

Video display: - Standard VGA adapter

Video display: - General non-PnP-display

I'm starting to suspect the second one might be my graphics card, since the VGA adapter is the thingie that gets installed automatically by windows whenever you uninstall your current drivers.

Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: Checking the "display hidden devices"-option doesn't work.

Edited by Kailoq

Without a modified inf you get this search result (for 0426):

http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers?dev=0426⊂=&whql=0〈=0&orderby=version&dir=desc&os=&os%5B%5D=win7x64

With a modified inf you should principally get any driver to install via setup.

Did you use the modified inf?

I copied the modified inf into the display.driver folder yes. The problem is: I can't install the driver using the have-disk method, because my graphics card isn't showing up in the device manager.

EDIT: I also just noticed there's a newer version than the one I'm using: 302.59_win7x64. Oddly enough the banner on the right-hand side of the main page still says 301.42 is the latest build. I'll try this build too to see if the setup.exe works. If not, I'll still need to find a way to add my graphics card to the device manager.

Edited by Kailoq

"Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" is your graphic card with showing up with windows generic driver. If you install a nvidia driver it will show your graphics card model instead. "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" is your screen. So if you try to install a nvidia driver in your monitor it obviously won't work.

Oooh. Makes sense. Thank you!