LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Using Unsigned drivers in Windows 8

DirtyBirdPhnx

I found out how to allow unsigned drivers in windows 8, the instructions are below.

FYI... this may need to be done each time you update your graphics driver

OPTION 1

Open a Command Prompt (Run as Administrator).

On the command prompt type BCDEDIT /Set LoadOptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS and enter.
A message will say "Command successful"
Now type BCDEDIT /Set TESTSIGNING ON.

If, for any reason, you want to change back to the default, repeat the steps but with the commands
BCDEDIT /Set LoadOptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS and
BCDEDIT /Set TESTSIGNING ON

Restart the computer.

this changes the driver situation to work like in windows 7 and you will still have to allow the unsigned driver to be installed but it won't just automatically cancel the installation.

Option 2

1. Open Settings (move your mouse to the top or bottom right corner of the screen and wait for the charm bar to appear, then click the Gear icon)
  2. Click "Change PC Settings"
  3. Click "General"
  4. Scroll down, and click ‘Restart now’ under "Advanced startup"
  6. Click "Troubleshoot"
  7. Click "Advanced Options"
  8. Click "Windows Startup Settings"
  9. Click Restart
  11. When your computer restarts, select "Disable driver signature enforcement" from the list (on my PC it was option 7)
  13. You can now load the unsigned driver and after resetting your computer it should still work.

happy force updating :)

thanks to coolguy16 jeggu and krisdf

Edited by DirtyBirdPhnx

i'm having major issues trying to install this on my vaio aw220j running windows 8 x64, I used the modded .inf provided by coolguy16 in the 302.71 forum but still cant get it to install, any help is appreciated!

[Edit]

I have since found out how to allow unsigned drivers in windows 8, the instructions are below.

Open a Command Prompt (Run as Administrator).

On the command prompt type BCDEDIT –Set LoadOptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS and enter.

A message will say "Command successful"

Now type BCDEDIT –Set TESTSIGNING ON.

If, for any reason, you want to change back to the default, repeat the steps but with the commands

BCDEDIT –Set LoadOptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS and

BCDEDIT –Set TESTSIGNING ON

Restart the computer.

this changes the driver situation to work like in windows 7 and you will still have to allow the unsigned driver to be installed but it won't just automatically cancel the installation.

happy force updating :)

You can also disable the driver signature enforcement per boot session as mentioned here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-desktop/disable-driver-signature-enforcement-or-enable-low/697fca49-f506-49e6-90f1-075884966fb6

• 2 months later...

DirtyBirdPhnx thank you so much i'm stuck with this problem for a couple of month (T T)b

• 4 weeks later...

BTW it's BCEDIT -->/<--set not BCEDIT -set

But thanks for info less restarting is always better.