LaptopVideo2Go Forums

dropping GPU Core Clock

MrTehHax

hello, I have a Acer Aspire 7520(i know its s***ty :/) but i need it right now. It used to give me semi descent frames on certain games when i overclocked and installed a custom 12v fan for more cooling potential. When its on the desktop it gives me a gpu clock rate of 350, which is great. however when i run any game it drops the gpu core clock to 100 which absolutely kills my frames. this laptop used to be pretty descent until i had to reinstall windows. i try using ntune to overclock while in game, but that still does not work. any advice you can offer to get my gpu clock to stay at the 350 while im gaming?

Edited by MrTehHax

You didn't give any detail but anyway what temps are you getting in gpu-z while gaming? Did it start happening when you installed new fan or when you started to use ntune or when you installed new driver?

You didn't give any detail but anyway what temps are you getting in gpu-z while gaming? Did it start happening when you installed new fan or when you started to use ntune or when you installed new driver?

my temps average about 88c when i game. i installed new as5 paste on the old gpu and cpu. it started happening when i reinstalled windows about 3 weeks ago. i honestly dont remember if it was when i installed the driver or not. all i know is i recently reinstalled windows again and used the stock driver and have the same issue. i also notice that the VDDC drops to 1.1v rather than the 1.2v i get at the desktop.

Kinda hard to know what's up when you can't pinpoint the source. Anyway are the clocks fine if you don't overclock? Have you ever flashed GPU bios?

Kinda hard to know what's up when you can't pinpoint the source. Anyway are the clocks fine if you don't overclock? Have you ever flashed GPU bios?

the thing is i have to overclock to get "ok" frames...which never used to be an issue because the clocks would stay the same when i launched the game. i never flashed the gpu bios.

Might be screwed PowerMizer settings - but there are some tools that can control them. RivaTuner allows forcing constant performance level - but isn't developed anymore and doesn't work with 3.xxx drivers. Then there's Powermizer Switch and NVidia Powermizer Manager but don't know if they work with the latest software. Or you could search info for PowerMizer registry settings and switch it off - then you stay all the time on the same speed - 3D preferably. I some time tinkered with the settings and found me nailed to 2D speed...

Or create a custom profile on NVidia Control Panel enhanced with NTune/NVidia Performance which sets the clocks when starting a game.