LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GEFORCE EXPERIENCE TWEAKS YOUR GAME FOR YOU

Infinity7

GeForce Experience closed beta is released. To solve the problem of finding the best graphics settings for PC's with varying components NVIDIA has built a gaming supercomputer designed specifically to test thousands of different hardware configurations to find the best settings for each game. The user simply installs GeForce Experience on their system and the app will automatically download the best settings from the server based on the user’s specific hardware configuration. These settings can be applied per game or across all games as desired. This is a limited release so grab it quick. Read about it and get it over here: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-experience-closed-beta-released

A note of caution: Their definition of "better" is a higher frame rate. I wish they would let you set your own goal - higher frame rate, higher image quality, or a balance of the two. Their recommendations did net me a few FPS on Skyrim, but the drop in image quality wasn't worth it.

Did it only change settings accessible in-game or also advanced .ini settings?

While I do find such software interesting to at least try, their promo video wasn't doing them any favors, considering the current and optimal settings only changed in the rated fps to "unlimited" and resolution going from 720p to 1080p, which for all intents and purposes isn't feasible.

It does tweak some ini settings that aren't available from a game's control panel. Definitely keep a backup ini if yours is hand-tweaked like mine is.

One thing I found annoying is that it only tells you what it's tweaking in a general way. The list of changes doesn't match the ini settings and one change can affect several ini settings at once. I couldn't find the exact list anywhere. There is a restore button, so it's keeping a backup somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Now I'm even more intrigued, as I expected it to just adjust in-game settings.

Did the restore option work as intended or did it fail to revert changes, or even corrupt .ini files?

I didn't try it, although I should have. I keep backups of everything, so I just swapped in a good ini. They recommended about seven or eight changes and I didn't keep any of them. Their goal is the best quality settings that still allow between 40 and 50 FPS. I'm perfectly happy at 30 FPS, or even lower, if it get me closer to photorealism.