LaptopVideo2Go Forums

When is NVIDIA going to bring us UEFI GOP ?

mobilenvidia

I've been using Win8 for some time now and setup my install in UEFI mode.

This requires the install to be on a GPT partition, which is relatively easy.

UEFI capable motherboards also now allow Super fast boots, if all the devices on the motherboard have UEFI drivers.

With my desktop I have 4x LSI SAS/SATA controllers, in a normal boot this can take ages to boot as it loads all the OPROMs.

UEFI boot takes mere seconds.

BUT the above is only possible without a NVIDIA powered GPU.

Upon boot the UEFI boot stops as it cannot load the UEFI GOP driver.

Only way to boot is in BIOS mode = slow slow slow.

So I'm currently not using the GTX470 in my desktop and rely on the Core i5 3470T integrated GPU, which pains me greatly.

All my SAS/SATA controllers are different and all have UEFI drivers built in, no other device gives any issue.

I would have thought that NVIDIA would have done something about this by now.

The 600 series GPU's still seem to lack the UEFI GOP driver.

UEFI is the way of the future and NVIDIA seem to be a bit slow in coming forward.

Just seeing what your thoughts are on this subject.

Right now it's impossible to install pirated Windows 7/8 in UEFI mode, all "Activation patches" do not work, so it's completely useless...

To load the GPU in UEFI secureboot mode the Video BIOS needs to have a proper UEFI partition.

Like on the Clevo Notebook front we have 88kb vBIOS without UEFI part and 149kb vB updates with UEFI. ;)

Is the machine booting with the Intel or NVIDIA GPU ?

I suppose on Hybrid systems if booting with Intel then switching once booted may work.

Wonder if I can do this with the desktop

Is the machine booting with the Intel or NVIDIA GPU ?

I suppose on Hybrid systems if booting with Intel then switching once booted may work.

Wonder if I can do this with the desktop

Well, last year Nvidia did announce Nvidia Synergy, that was meant to be the desktop counterpart of Nvidia Optimus. However, the only real world implementation of a modern (as opposed to the deprecated Hybrid Power tech) hybrid system is a modified Nvidia Optimus on smaller form factor Alienware desktop PCs.

I found only this info about UEFI at NVIDIA

When installing an after-market graphics card into a certified Windows 8 PC with UEFI enabled, the system may not boot.

Answer ID 3156 | Published 10/25/2012 03:12 PM | Updated 11/09/2012 10:50 AM

When installing an after-market graphics card into a certified Windows 8 PC with UEFI enabled, the system may not boot.

When an after-market graphics card is installed into a motherboard with UEFI enabled in the system BIOS, or if the system is a certified Windows 8 PC with Secure Boot enabled, the system may not boot.

UEFI is a new system BIOS feature that is provided on most new motherboards. A UEFI system BIOS is required in order for the Windows 8 Secure Boot feature to work. Secure boot is enabled by default on certified Windows 8 PCs.

In order to get the PC to boot with a graphics card that does not contain UEFI firmware, the end-user must first disable the secure boot feature in the system's SBIOS before installing the graphics card.

275]
Note: Some system SBIOS's incorporate a feature called compatibility boot. These systems will detect a non-UEFI-enabled firmware VBIOS and allow the user to disable secure boot and then proceed with a compatibility boot. If the system contains a system SBIOS the supports compatibility boot, the user will need to disable secure boot when asked during boot process

Instructions for manually disabling secure boot:

1) Power down the system

2) Remove the NVIDIA Add-in card

3) Boot the system using integrated graphics

4) Enter CMOS settings. CMOS settings can usually be accessed during boot, typically by pressing one of F1, F2, F8, F12, or Delete (depends on the system firmware) Alternatively they can be accessed in Windows 8 as follows: http://www.makeuseof...ows-8-computer/

5) Set Secure Boot to disabled

6) If there is an option, set CSM (or compatibility or legacy mode) to enabled.

7) Save the new settings

8) Power down the system

9) Install the NVIDIA Add-in card

10) The system should now boot