LaptopVideo2Go Forums

I want to kick Michael Dell's arse.

Whackjob

Bought me an Alienware m17x a couple years back.  Thought it'd be nice enough to keep me going for several years.  Well, now I can't update the graphics drivers.  Upgraded to windows 8 recently, and the problems I have seem to be compounding now that I can't update the drivers.  Can't use NVidia's site, their support tells me I need to use the drivers from Dell.  And Dell's drivers are two and a half YEARS out of date!

Been trying like mad to get something from here to work, ANYTHING, but am having no luck at all.  I am throwing myself on the mercy of you other forum users.  I need help.

Usually, just running the driver update program just says nothing compatible found.  If I download something from here, and change the .inf file, it'll act as if it installs, but then fails at the end, forcing me to yet again install the ancient dell drivers.

I figure it's just something I am doing wrong, but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Thanks ahead of time for anyone willing to take a moment out to help out one frazzled Whackjob.

The answer to that question has been answered a few times in this forum. Do a bit of reading please :P

To speed up your search I advise you to look for topics or posts related to unsigned windows 8 driver. There are temporary and permanent ways to allow unsigned driver installations, whatever suits you.

Good luck :)

Much appreciated for the response!  Yes, I've seen those threads.  I don't think the signed/unsigned drivers issue is to blame in this case.  When I installed 8 I manually went through all the privacy/security options, and I disabled those right from the get-go.  I'd heard of problems with that.  No, when I install the drivers, it'll go all the way through to completion, only to fail at the last moment.  It just tells me the driver fails to install, and the rest of the components are listed as "not installed".  My fault for not being more verbose!

Installation failing at the end has windows 8 driver signature problem written all over it. Many people (including myself) report that that bcd disable thing doesn't work. My advice is use the advanced settings restart from metro control panel method for temporary disabling signature because that disables signing for sure :)

Hrm.  Ok.  If you kind folks tell me to redo it, I'll redo it.  I did try that advanced settings restart, but never did get it to go... it starts shutdown mode, I get the dot ring... and then it waits.  But I had some freezing issues then which I'm pretty sure I've fixed, so I'll give it another go and see if this time it completes.  Will report findings,

Trying now.  Having trouble... 8 tricked me.  Heh.  Drivers had to reboot, and I didn't think to reboot myself in that mode with the digitally signed drivers turned off.  System rebooted, install failed.  Now if I try to reinstall, it doesn't even get to reboot... it just fails.  Trying again...

Ok.  Three valuable lessons have been learned by me today.  They are as follows:

1.) I need to slow down and exercise patience.

holycrap_zps75d40ee1.jpg

2.) You driver gurus know what you're doing, and anyone who says otherwise is a fool and worse.

A thousand, million thank yous.  Two and a half years of stress gone in an instant. 

I owe yas one.