LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Reliable source for older RealTek driver versions?

okieman

Recently my RealTek HD audio began crackling etc like an old LP with scratches. Updating the driver hasn't helped. After a lot of Googling I discovered a number of people have had the same problem with their RealTek, and that most seem to have solved the problem by rolling back to driver versions R219 to R222. Apparently some obscure problem RealTek and Microsoft have to work out. When I search the Web for these I find what seem to be shady-looking sites. Didn't find a way to get older drivers from RealTek; does anyone know of a reliable source?

PS - I don't know what brought about the onset of the distortion. I became aware of it gradually because I normally keep the audio at a lower volume. It's definitely from inside my device; I hear the distortion regardless of speakers or headphones.

Softpedia isn't too bad as these sites go. Don't click on the big blue download button - use the smaller blue button with the arrow pointing to the right. Here's the link to R2.22

Outstanding! I'll soon find out if I'm in that group for which this fix works.

Interesting. Rolling back to 2.22 helped somewhat (maybe 40%), so I also went into the Win 7 (64 bit) Sound control panel and changed the playback option from 24-bit 48 kHz Studio Quality to 16-bit 44.1 kHz CD Quality. Also checked any/all "disable enhancements" boxes although no enhancements were turned on. Now, the sound is clear about 95% of the time. Makes me wonder if the problem is Realtek, Microsoft, neither or both. Also disappointing, but it's an at-work computer, so I can't upgrade to a better audio card. You'd think that simple audio problems like this would be virtually non-existent at this stage of the technology game. Oh well. Thanks for the website tip!

Edited by okieman

• 5 months later...

try upgrading/installing a faster CPU for your Dell A11 computer, okieman.  putting in a faster processor chip can help solve your sound problems.  also if using WiFi or wireless LAN adapter, install the latest WLAN drivers as they can either reduce or elliminate those sound problems as old WLAN drivers can sometimes cause those sound crackling problems.