LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pi 1536 + HD3650

silencer51

Hello,

I was given an Amilo Pi 1536 for free, and I've turned it into a desktop. I replaced the stock CPU with a T7200 and I've managed to get 4GB of RAM working fine with Alienware BIOS 2.07.

Now I want to replace the horrible stock ATI x1400 MXM card with something better.

Apparently, the HD3650 is plug and play - it fits the stock cooler perfectly and is suitably fast. My question is: will the DVI port work? Since I am using this laptop with an external monitor, this is essential for me.

If not, which mxm cards are confirmed to be working with DVI output on this laptop?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with the same laptop..

My story: I had this amilo Pi 1536 used for a while with 4GB of memory (could only use 3,5GB) I had upgraded it with a Core Duo 2 T7200 2GB 4MB Cache..

I havent realized that this processor can run that hot.. The big problem here is, that the heat sink from this notebook isnt a very good cooler.. Because the heatpipes from the cpu and de Graphics card are comming together to one litte fan..

So i isnt really a goo idea to put running hot hardware in it.. I had a problem with this notebook that my screen went dead (black) I could only see the leds where burning.. ( I guess that the grapics card maybe bad)

All of the time i had stored this laptop away... And few days i found it again.. Want to fix it again.. because i want to use the notebook for simple things.. (store some floppy data, maybe playing not that hard stressed games)and a little bit on the internet when i want to internet elsewhere. Now i have to looking for a new grapics card i guess..

I had to choose from a 4650 1GB or a 4570 512MB.. I red this notebook cant handle 1GB graphics card..(it also expensiver) So i guess the 4570 is a better option for this notebook.

a 3650 has the same performance of a 4570 .. only the 4570 only uses 12- 15watts for this graphics card.

3650 will just run hotter.. the cooling unit couldnt handle those thermal specs.. The fan will make a lot of noise.. So that i couldnt recommend.

I think the 4650 would be the same problem on thermal specs.. Should run really hot in this notebook.

my setup will be:

Core intel duo 2 T5600 1,83Ghz ( i guess this processor would a little bit run cooler then the T7200 2Ghz 4mb cache processor.

4GB of PC5300 DDR2 667Mhz memory (can use only 3,5GB  but wouldnt be a problem for me)

ATI mobility HD 4570 512MB

Maybe 1TB  Seagate momentus XT (ssd+hdd; because using win xp 32-bit with it)

windows xp ruins ssd`s so i should take a XT harddisk.

Edited by Robin4

• 1 year later...

Hey Robin4, i have sent you a message yesterday. I hope you get an email about that, cause i did not get and missed reading a message for 4 years.

Edited by Bandes

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I was given an Amilo Pi 1536 for free, and I've turned it into a desktop. I replaced the stock CPU with a T7200 and I've managed to get 4GB of RAM working fine with Alienware BIOS 2.07.

Now I want to replace the horrible stock ATI x1400 MXM card with something better.

Apparently, the HD3650 is plug and play - it fits the stock cooler perfectly and is suitably fast. My question is: will the DVI port work? Since I am using this laptop with an external monitor, this is essential for me.

If not, which mxm cards are confirmed to be working with DVI output on this laptop?

Thanks in advance!

I have inside my Amilo Pi 1536 a T7200, I had a NVIDIA 770m 512MB DDR3 and now an ATi HD3650 256MB DDR3 and it doesn't run so hot

Edited by kontini