LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Alienware Laptop Video Card geforce GTX 260M video card (PLEASE READ )

lightoff

I have a Dell Alienware laptop with screen resolution 1920X1200. It came with the integrated card and gaming geforce GTX 260M video card. I'll never understand why Dell locked the cards and won't let NVIDIA give them support when Dell refuses to update the drivers.

Alright now, after I upgraded my windows 7 to W8 PRO, "INF" files no longer work. So I plan to upgrade to another card that has nothing to do with dell. Does anyone know if "Toshiba Nvidia Geforce GTX 670M 2GB GDDR5 MXM 3.0 Video Graphics Card" will work as a replacement for my "geforce GTX 260M video card"?

Another question: NVIDIA used to have suport long ago for my card, then they removed the address and said my manufacturer want me to get update straight from them. Why would DELL went out of their way to force NVIDIA to stop supporting the cards while they retired their driver support for the cards? Those cards can still handle tomorrow's games but only need latest drivers.

I hope some people here are willing to help

Edited by lightoff

I found this info on NVIDIA Forum

Although the GPU is still supported in the newer driver, laptops with
Intel chipsets that utilize hybrid power technology is no longer
supported.
So that's the reason newer driver packages no longer support
your system and GPU combo. If you must upgrade, you can try 3rd party
modified driver from laptopvideo2go and see if that will help. But keep
in mind, these drivers have not been tested or certified by Asus or
Nvidia, so there is a possibility your system may suffer unpredictable
problems and possible hardware failures.

-----------------------

So DELL does NOT actually locked the card. It's Nvidia that doesn't give support to those specific cards that Asus made for Dell, Toshiba, etc...

Are all those cards (NVIDIA GeForce GTX ###M) made specifically ONLY to run on "laptops with Intel chipsets that utilize hybrid power technology"?

Why won't DELL provide that info when selling laptops? All you know about is (the Processor, Video card, memory, Drive) Even now; they
don't share any knowledge about BIOS on the laptop we are purchasing. I want my next purchase to be a smart one with full knowledge of the laptop and fully
upgradable. Who made such laptops?

Nvidia just pulled plug from Hybrid Power when Optimus technology was developed. That's the risk of progress. Old cards upto Geforce go 4.xxx series are supported in the modified infs and even Nvidia supports mobile cards from 8.xxxM and up. So GTX 260M is no problem, it's the power saving technology. Luckily I don't have it. Check http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/161-nautis1100-hybrid-and-optimus-drivers/ for further info about hybrid drivers.

Thanks Zipper.

I had no problem installing latest NVIDIA drivers with the help of INF files. It all started as soon as I upgraded to W8 PRO. I'll go back to W7 PRO again and hopefully things will get back to normal.

UPDATE: I got it to work guys on W8 PRO lol. Keep making the INF files. Thanks for giving us support when everyone else has given up on us.

OTHER NOTES: Can the Alienware M17x R1 and R2 handle the "GTX 670M 2GB GDDR5" ? I've been usin the 260M without problem and it handles all latest games like a champ. Just that I see some great deals on the GTX 670M 2GB GDDR5. I also know I need to save some money I don't have to spend. Just asking for the knowledge.

Probably, but I don't know for sure. Your AW (R2?) is MXM 3 type B (R1 is MXM2 type IV) so the new card must be like. The TDP of 260 is 75 W like 670 so that's no problem. Can't say anything about the bios. A HD  7970 is known to work in  AW (R2/R3). So, R1 differs crucially from R2 and R3 in the cards accepted. 

It seems I have R1 because metal plate on the back says "M17X" only

Bad luck, finding replacement cards isn't easy - especially better than 260M. I suspect series 4.xxx and up of mobile cards are MXM3.0. But getting info is pretty difficult.

Thanks mate. For now it does all I want. Later down the line, I'll give it to one of my nephews.

As you see I'm a GTX 260M user, too and it has been a good card. But it's time to upgrade to something up to date.