LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Benchmark results for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M

zipper

Notebook 334.67 tried with the original inf. A nice performer but there might be install problems, hopefully this gets fixed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zipper

• tribaljet

• Robbo the Second

• LSudlow

334.89 WHQL tried. No issues found, a good performer (Cloud Gate best so far).

• 3 weeks later...

Now 35.23 Notebook WHQL - similar results, a tiny bit better still. No issues.

I seem to hear good things about 335.23 from more people as well, might be worth looking into. Still rocking 327.41 here, which is a rather stable driver despite not being the fastest (310.90 was far better in that regard).

• 4 weeks later...

337.50 notebook beta - problems; just 3DMark 11 wants to work, other benchmarks crash/exit/stall.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem continues with 337.61, just 3DMark 11 "works". Now, might it be a problem with the latest Windows update I wonder...

Tinkering with Futuremark System Info to an older version gives nothing.

Probably it's the driver/System Info combo after all - going back to 335.23 and everything is running, with System Info 4.25 and 4.26; the older benchmarks work, too (03, 05 and 06)

Got a reply from Futuremark forums - they are working on it to upgrade System Info and told a quick fix that might work - I have to try it.

...testing; fix didn't work - Nvidia has screwed something on those new drivers.

• 1 month later...

Futuremark has updated SystemInfo to v4.28 and my problems are over. Tried 337.81 laptop beta and it's the best benchmarker so far - really worth trying!

What about the new 337.88 WHQL? One would assume they would perform similarly to 337.81.

Soon - on vacation just now...

Now 337.88 WHQL tried. All tests are a tiny bit better - really worth testing!

3DMark Vantage struggles to recognize the video adapter on 3DMark.com even when Vantage itself shows 680M fine; on 3DMark it shows as generic VGA. No big deal, the other benchmarks work fine.

• 2 weeks later...

337.88 did display decent performance when compared to 327.41 but for some reason World of Warcraft kept crashing when opening, same as random black screens without TDRs, which might mean this release isn't fully geared towards Fermi. Went with 337.61 instead and been getting similar performance but with added stability. While 337.50 is supposedly the same driver without the monitor-specific fixes, there are reports of undocumented fixes present on 337.61, and I'm inclined to agree given 337.50 also displayed random black screens, whereas 337.61 displayed none.

• 2 weeks later...

340.43 laptop beta tried. Again the fastest on all benchmarks - remarkable!

Btw, 340.43 + latest nVidia System Info (4.29) have fixed the black screen bug on 3DMark Sky Diver at least on my hardware. The score is 13122 but I find it superfluous to add to my results - too near Cloud Gate results.

I definitely second 340.43 as being a very decent performer. Apparently not only Kepler but also Fermi benefit from it. This release fixed all issues I was having with 337.88 as well as some rare but still present black screen issues on 337.61 (originally I thought only 337.50 did so).

• 3 weeks later...

340.52 mobile Quadro driver tried with the modified inf. Very odd, again the fastest driver on all benchmarks! Sky Diver gave 13218 and 3Dmark06 23381 . The first driver that I had to use Disable driver digital signature enforcement. Really worth trying!

• 1 month later...

I was expecting the tendency for faster drivers to end sometimes - it's now; 340.65 WHQL notebook driver is a little slower but not bad yet. No problems found.

• 2 weeks later...

ICafe 340.72 WHQL tried - pretty similar results; OK but that's all.

• 4 weeks later...

340.82 beta OpenGL 4.5 Driver tried, no problems. The fastest so far on 3DMark,other benchmarks quite good still.

So, 344.11 WHQL is an okay driver - the best 3DMark 11 result and other benchmarks quite good but not on the top.

• 1 month later...

344.48 WHQL tried, a tiny bit faster than 344.11 and the fastest on Fire Strike.

344.60 WHQL now - a step forward, the fastest on 3DMark 11 and Fire Strike. Worth trying.

What's up, Doc - 344.65 WHQL so soon... In every case a little slower so not worth after 344.60 except if something needed re the changelog.