LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Benchmark results for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M

zipper

Yes...odd. But there might be some short split second down spikes that the logging software doesn't catch.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zipper

• tribaljet

• Robbo the Second

• LSudlow

Update: Seems that RivaTuner based utilies can't overclock the GPU core - every overclock setting that I tried just downclock the core by 15 MHz! The memory can be overclocked but the gains are just 1 to 3% so overclocking can be overlooked. The included MSI VGA overclocking  utility does nothing, too. Maybe it works only with MSI drivers - I don't bother.

Hmmm, if you want to overclock your core, then you might need to flash a modded vBIOS.  Strange that it's not even overclockable up the the standard +135Hz limit.  I flashed mine with a modified vBIOS that svl7 on tech inferno forums made, he edited my stock vBIOS.  He just unlocked the +135Hz limit, no voltage mod.  He said he could mod the vBIOS to allow for increase voltage, but I'm happy with a 50% overclock for now!

RivaTuner based tools never were planned to support mobile chips (Unwinder did tell it in his impeccably polite style...) - it's pure luck if they work. And I've been lucky so far. But the first signs of the unsupported status came with GTX 260M: overclocking did work but the frequencies were off in the graphs about 10%. And with GTX 680M the situation gets worse. Btw, NVidia System Tools reads the core frequency  as 324 MHz when it's (probably...) 771 MHz.

Likely MSI has locked the chip VBIOS.

Afterburner works for me, but I think that's Rivatuner based.  Oh well, you might be just out of luck when it comes to overclocking then.  The 680M is fast enough at stock anyway, but always nice to get some free performance!

MSI has clocked the chip to 771 instead of default 720 and do think it's enough. Well, the borderline power pack with 180 W probably doesn't allow more without risk for  squatting down.

Some light to the overclocking topic - I went back to the original driver and reinstalled the MSI VGA overclocking tool. It seems still to do nothing - but this time I could overclock with MSI Afterburner. And logging revealed massive downclock peaks even with quite benign temperatures around 80 - 86 C. More overclocking - more peaks. On less demanding software I can get fps gain from 130 to 140+ but more demanding gives just  + a couple of fps. So MSI doesn't give too much headroom for Nvidia GPU Boost 1.0. A Vbios flash would be needed to get a better result - but I don't care. For curiosity's sake I might test a little further; just now Microsoft Upgate installed 320.49 WHQL and it overclocks in a similar way.

Praps you just need a higher wattage power supply.  You could try using a Watt Meter on an electrical outlet & then compare that to your rated watts on your power adapter.  

The brick is puny 180W; AW, Clevo etc overclockers seem to use some 200++ W bricks. But probably the MSI system is overprotective on the temperatures, I've read comments about throttling even before 80 C is reached on the GPU.

Running fan @100% (nearly horrible noise) helps a little. The memory can be raised at least 25% but as the default bus is quite fast the gains are small. GPU throttles a little with +50 MHz and quite a lot at +100 MHz. The net result is +2% to +8% in the benchmarks. GPU at 100% fan temperature stays always under 75C, the throttling may happen even when the temperature in in 60´s. I'll rather forget the gains of overclocking and keep the noise down. But at least tested now.

I put some overclock figures into the chart - range of improvement is about 2 to 8% - not too significant.

326.19 notebook beta tried - about the same performance as 320.49 beta. The earlier WHQLs are little faster.

Same here. I keep reverting back to 314.22 - best driver for my GT 525M so far.

The mystery of MSI VGA Overclock Tool resolved - all it does is a "huge" 3% increase in memory speed; barely noticed...

326.29 notebook beta driver tried. No problems, quite similar to the previous betas.

326.41 notebook beta tried. Nothing special except no CUDA, a tad faster than the preceeding betas but loses to the older WHQLs.

Thanks for continuing the benchmarks, I've been using them to determine which to use(using 302.71 still). I have an ancient GPU, but luckily a lot of indie games like warframe run at 800P on my 8600m with a decent OC. :dogpile:

:thumbsup:  - still have my Quadro 1600 (=8700M) in my backup lappie but it's very seldom used, just when something won't work with Win7/Win8.

• 2 weeks later...

326.58 developer driver tried. No CUDA on GPU-Z. A tad faster than the predecessors.

...seems I lost the benchmarks, perhaps forgot to save the results...

...found the paper, added to the results...

326.80 beta tried. CUDA still missing; initial install failed on PhysX but got it from another source. About similar performance.

326.84 developer driver tried. CUDA is back. Performance is about the same. No problems.

• 4 weeks later...

327.24 developer driver tried - a faster one, worth trying. Btw, Gpu-Z didn't like this at all - freezes.

327.23 notebook WHQL tried. A little lower but still good; no problems found - except Gpu-Z 0.7.3 is still coughing on this on the sensors tab.

Hey Zipper, where have you been getting the modded inf files from, for the latest drivers?  The latest downloadable inf file on this site is from July.  The latest inf file that mobilenvidia posted on the news page doesn't seem available to dowload anywhere, the links are missing, or errors saying 'not found on server'.  (The latest drivers don't have any inf files associated on their pages for download).

My hardware is supported in the original infs - and if it isn't I'll add it myself (and tell it in the benchmark list, but so far it has not been necessary).