LaptopVideo2Go Forums

WINDOWS 8.1 RTM IS RELEASED TO PUBLIC

Infinity7

The final Windows 8.1 RTM (release to manufacturing) is released to the public today and you can read about it and download it at windows.microsoft.com. You can upgrade to it for free if you already have Windows 8. You can also download a free preview version of it which won't expire until January 2014.

Installed, no bigger problems. GPU-Z decided to freeze, even 0.7.2 which worked earlier. MSI Afterburner graphs jump between zero and default clock but I didn't do a clean reinstall yet. And 3DMark Systeminfo reinstall also was needed.

Running it now. I have to say that I've had a ton of issues to work out, from broken drivers, drivers being rolled back, UI customizations utterly destroyed, GPU temps higher when idling (same driver as on Windows 8). I'm glad to have fixed most of that, excluding the GPU temps issue.

GPU-Z does work (0.7.3 tested), but for some reason it shows CUDA unchecked, despite running the same 327.23 drivers that were running perfectly fine on Windows 8.

Aside from the issues, and after having everything nearly set to use, things do seem to run slightly more smoothly than they were on Windows 8, and 3D performance seems to be at least similar from quick testing done.

CoD Black Ops 2 runs great with it. I had to turn down mouse sensitivity a lot in the game menu though. Logitech G500.

GPU-Z does work (0.7.3 tested), but for some reason it shows CUDA unchecked, despite running the same 327.23 drivers that were running perfectly fine on Windows 8.

Forgot to say - the same here, even with 0.7.2 which did show CUDA checked on Win8 , 331.40 drivers in both cases. Must be some odd interference with MSI +  680M as haven't seen any similar comments so far.

MSI  Afterburner stopped misbehaving after clean reinstall. 3DMark Vantage crashes when MSI Afterburner is running on the background - a memory leak?

It is likely that the people who programmed the various softwares and utilities will need to reprogram them to work properly with Win 8.1.

At last I got what's wrong - at first GPU-Z 0.7.2 did work with my 8.0 install without any tweaks. but 0.7.3. not. After 8.1 upgrade both just freezed/crashed, showing no CUDA. Then I changed the default GPU in Nvidia CP from automatic to Nvidia. Problems vanished - and  CUDA is available. So with Optimus you have to tie GPU-Z to Nvidia, automatic doesn't work. 

Curiously, despite me already running with the GPU as default, I've actually had to create a profile for GPU-Z and set the GPU as default rather than the IGP. Even more curious is that I've deleted the newly created profile right after and now CUDA being available stuck.

Somehow I've got the feeling we still need a driver fully optimized for 8.1, which from the release notes makes 331.58 not really the driver I'm talking about.