LaptopVideo2Go Forums

graphic driver for 8400m gt

Bouki

Hello guys.

i istalled windows 7 about 2 years ago.

since then my graphic card burn out every 6 mounth. and i spent lots of time and money to fixed it. :cry2:

i dont know why this keep happaning to me but i guess its becuase of my graphic driver.

my lopto model is vga fz 490.

last time i installed 320.20 driver and its worked fine but when nvidia reales new graphic driver i update my driver but my graphic card burn out again!

after i fixed my graphic card again i installed 320.20 again.

i really dont know where i can find aproprate driver for my loptop.

would you please help me!?

Hi Bouki,

I had a FZ11S with a 8400M GT too and it also burned. The problem is the card getting hot due to a bad design of that generation of cards, not the drivers. You should have bought a new laptop instead of replacing the motherboard because chances are it will burn again. As you already got the same motherboard I suggest you replace the thermal compound to a good one like AS5 or MX-4 and make sure you apply it properly or ask a professional to do it if you can't. After that you should clean the dust out of the ventilation system every month. You can blow compressed air to the exhaust grill to take most of it but if you want to be thorough and have it properly clean you should open the laptop and blow not only through the grill but also the hole in the middle of the fan which can only be accessed with the laptop half disassembled. When you blow the hole in the middle of the fan some more dust will come out but if you really have no idea how to do it, at least blow the grill. Note: put the compressed air tube/pistol as close as possible the the grill to blow with maximum air pressure otherwise you will have some leftover dust inside.

That's what kept my sony vaio alive for few years after the warranty expired although it eventually died someday because even doing this the temps aren't ideal to make it last. But ideal temperature is impossible unless you have a freezer or air conditioning underneath the laptop hehehe :P

Good luck with your laptop!!!

Luís

Hi Bouki,

I had a FZ11S with a 8400M GT too and it also burned. The problem is the card getting hot due to a bad design of that generation of cards, not the drivers. You should have bought a new laptop instead of replacing the motherboard because chances are it will burn again. As you already got the same motherboard I suggest you replace the thermal compound to a good one like AS5 or MX-4 and make sure you apply it properly or ask a professional to do it if you can't. After that you should clean the dust out of the ventilation system every month. You can blow compressed air to the exhaust grill to take most of it but if you want to be thorough and have it properly clean you should open the laptop and blow not only through the grill but also the hole in the middle of the fan which can only be accessed with the laptop half disassembled. When you blow the hole in the middle of the fan some more dust will come out but if you really have no idea how to do it, at least blow the grill. Note: put the compressed air tube/pistol as close as possible the the grill to blow with maximum air pressure otherwise you will have some leftover dust inside.

That's what kept my sony vaio alive for few years after the warranty expired although it eventually died someday because even doing this the temps aren't ideal to make it last. But ideal temperature is impossible unless you have a freezer or air conditioning underneath the laptop hehehe :P

Good luck with your laptop!!!

Luís

Thank you luis!

my friend and i bought fz 4990 about 6 years ago! every thing was fine until we decided install windows seven!

funny thing is our laptops graphic cards burned out 3 mounts after we installed 7!

i thought graphc driver was the reason and always blamed him because he suggested install windows 7 in first place. :)

Pah, you are lucky to get such a long living 8.xxx mobile card - many of them died in a year - two - three. It started with 7.xxx cards as the ROHS regulation forced to change the solders and was fixed at the time of 9.xxx cards. The main reason was the temperature cycling cool - hot - cool breaking the solder - it was/is possible to fix with warming/baking the mobo/video card (google baking video card). So no burning in most cases - just broken connections to the chip.

Pah, you are lucky to get such a long living 8.xxx mobile card - many of them died in a year - two - three. It started with 7.xxx cards as the ROHS regulation forced to change the solders and was fixed at the time of 9.xxx cards. The main reason was the temperature cycling cool - hot - cool breaking the solder - it was/is possible to fix with warming/baking the mobo/video card (google baking video card). So no burning in most cases - just broken connections to the chip.

i dont wan to fix my graphic again. if this time my crad burn i will bake it!

it sounds exiting :)

thank you zipper.

Hello guys.

i istalled windows 7 about 2 years ago.

since then my graphic card burn out every 6 mounth. and i spent lots of time and money to fixed it. :cry2:

i dont know why this keep happaning to me but i guess its becuase of my graphic driver.

my lopto model is vga fz 490.

last time i installed 320.20 driver and its worked fine but when nvidia reales new graphic driver i update my driver but my graphic card burn out again!

after i fixed my graphic card again i installed 320.20 again.

i really dont know where i can find aproprate driver for my loptop.

would you please help me!?

Hi, signed up cause I saw your post. I unfortunately had the same problem with my MSI GX600, the nvidia 8600m GT died out in it. It was very annoying as the laptop was only 3 years old and I used to take very good care of it.

I once got it fixed with heat reflow method, but that gave away after a few months.

I would strongly suggest you to get the GPU reballed. I just had it done last week and am typing away from my GX600 once again, and so far it seems to be ok. However, as someone above also mentioned, it is very important to use good thermal paste (like Arctic MX-4) and get a good laptop cooler as well.

The card bake technique won't last long. Its better to get it reballed, as it makes the card like factory condition.

Anyways, do post back on this post about your experience with your solution and I will also post back if there is any update from my side.