LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Sony Vaio FZ11S revived after a year

Beyond

After almost a year I finally decided to give my fully disassembled laptop some heat. I could almost hear it in the drawer I stored it screaming complaining about the cold and dark spot. Got an old oven but it's hard to get accurate temperature and I suppose heat distribution is not the best so I used my digital microwave to program an accurate temperature and cook it in ventilated oven mode to give homogeneous heat distribution. Of course I stopped the rotational plate to minimize vibrations that could make some chip fall off. The motherboard still had the nihm pair of batteries which I removed obviously. And there I go... just before going to bed I prepared the plate I usually use in the microwave covering it with some aluminum foil and made 4 balls of aluminum foil too to suspend the motherboard, preheated oven to 200º C, then cooked the motherboard at 190º C for 10 mins and then opened the door and let it cool while I sleep. In the morning before going to university I quickly assembled CPU and RAM back and plugged the LCD's set of wires and voila... SUCESS!!!

I wonder why haven't I tried it before. I could have been using the laptop all this time probably. Later when I get home I will assemble it back together and then we'll see how long the fix lasts. Later I'll test some overclocking to see if it's 100% functional. This GPU has a huge overclock margin for a laptop as you can see in my signature (those OC speeds are nearly the max I can get for 100% stability like it wasn't OCed). Despite the huge OC the temps raise only about 4-5º C compared to default clock. This time I'll try really hard to apply the thinest layer of MX-4 I can to improve temps and clean it more often because OCed or not the temps use to be much higher than any laptop I've seen either idle or under load (GPU idle 60-65, load 85-95).

Damn it, I forgot I've broken the fan doing some experiences and threw it away. Gotta buy a new one... :lookaround:

Yea, I get better pixel rate and memory bandwidth than 8600M GT and shader performance somewhat close because it has half the shaders (16 vs 32). Since few years ago I find it kinda impossible to get playable fps without OC (even on low quality settings)  :P

I'm quite surprised you've managed to get similar values to a 8600M GT, especially when looking at non-GT versions of the 8400M, which were underperforming to say the least.

I'm having mixed feelings over my GT 555M (2GB DDR3 version, pretty much the average model), given that it can sometimes get impressive numbers on some games but it does seem to be rather nitpicky about engines. And for some reason it seems that its OCing potential diminished a great deal over the course of ~2 years, as well as Windows 8.1 drivers (at least I think it's the drivers fault and not the OS, potentially both) bumped my idle temps over 3C of its usual levels.

All in all, just consider yourself lucky for not having to deal with any sort of hybrid video implementation, even if Optimus is the lesser evil ;)

I must admit I never liked hybrid. Anyway, I can't say for sure it's your case but the bottlenecks you might experience with some game engines may be because of memory bandwidth. The 2GB version has pretty low bandwidth like the cards 525M to 550M. As for shader intensive game engines you have the advantage over other 555M versions ;)

I didn't have that many issues when hybrid video implementations were on first gen, allowing for manual switching between IGP and GPU, which made things reasonably clean (device manager toggling and little else), while this new muxless approach is a mess with several issues like software being unable to recognize the GPU, slightly lower performance due to everything from the GPU being routed to the IGP, as well as some random issues that different people have had of visual glitches with certain driver versions, glitches those that users that ran laptops with just a GPU (of the same model of those who suffered from said glitches) simply didn't have.

At this point I can safely say I'd be set with 1.5GB rather than 2GB due to much higher bandwidth. It's baffling how I can run some current games at 720p+ and medium-high settings at 60fps while games dated 5 years from now tend to run rather sluggish. The GPU being backed by an i7-2820QM does help but it only goes so far, the GPU pretty much needs to do most of the legwork.

• 1 month later...