LaptopVideo2Go Forums

No Sound Devices on Gateway M-1629

boweasel

Have a Gateway M-Series laptop that came with 32 bit Vista Home Premium installed. We upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium (also 32 bit) several years ago and have had no problems until recently.

We have no sound. Windows Audio is enabled and started. The speaker icon in the system tray has a red X to the right of it. Clicking on it opens a diagnostic page, that within 20 seconds says it couldn't identify the problem. When I go to Control Panel - Sound the Playback tab only displays Digital Audio (HDMI) Device which it says is not plugged in and has a little red downward arrow inside a circle.

If I go to Gateway Drivers Support for this model I am unable to select any OS but Vista.  Selecting the original OS prompts me to download the Sigmatel 6.10.5609  Audio Driver.  Downloading, extracting and installing gives me the error that this is not the correct audio driver for this system.

What does 'Not Plugged In' mean in reference to a laptop that has no external speakers?  And how is it that we had sound for about 2 years while this laptop was running Windows 7?

post-68749-0-15404300-1393992002_thumb.p

post-68749-0-41675800-1393992018_thumb.p

post-68749-0-45699700-1393992034_thumb.p

What is the hardware id of your sound card?

Let me take a stab and see if I cannot find you the latest driver

How do I determine that?  I could attach the latest Belarc scan.

Device manager, properties of your sound card

original.jpg

I seem to be unable to 'paste' the information, even using the menu tools (all 3 paste options).

post-68749-0-36840400-1394093664_thumb.p

Based on the vendor id that seems to be an ATI sound card, look for an unknown device, this may be your IDT card

Either way, the latest driver for that card you pasted is version 7.12.0.7717 date 2013-09-17

I don't want to appear too stupid (perhaps this ship has already sailed), but I don't really know what to do with this information. Performing a Google search ATI sound 7.12.0.7717 gives an incredible mishmash of drivers from places like driveragent, driverscape, driveridentifier, drivermax, et al...

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/ATI/AMD_VGADriver_Win7_32_64_VER13_25.zip

Its in that vga driver package, its not the cause because this is a hdmi sound driver, not your pc sound driver

Once again I cannot paste (my response was created in Word).  Read the whole sorry story in the .doc attachment and ponder how my sound device disappears

confused.doc

post-68749-0-42713000-1394237046_thumb.p

post-68749-0-92252200-1394237062_thumb.p

Edited by boweasel

Looks like your sound card has died, dont see it on the list...You can try reinstalling your chipset drivers maybe it will come back, BTW I found a newer driver from Gateway that supports your sound card (however I dont think this will help, only if you get it working again)

ftp://esupport:vImvF88@ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/drivers/win_vista/audio/D20361-001-001.exe

I don't even know what chipset drivers to download at this point.  For the Gateway M-16 series they only list components for Vista and this runs Windows 7.  And even for Vista I see no chipset drivers.