LaptopVideo2Go Forums

New Card for MSI GX700

Dukanax

So, I want to get a new card for my MSI GX700. I already did some research, but I'd like some confirmation here.

The Notebook was shipped with a type II but apparently can also fit a type III. No HE though.

Best options currently seem to be ATI HD 3670 or HD 3870. The latter might be a bit too hot though.

Do you think these cards would be compatible?

I heard nvidia cards usually need a vbios flash, but ati tend to work out of the box. What about these?

If they will work, could I also use an SLI slave version?

Thanks for the input.

Dukanax.

Ok, that's the newest card of that type in an older laptop. So chances are good that anything will be compatible with mine.

Sadly there seem none of the good MSI 4650 available. the Asus 4650 have double ram but reduced speed.

However the gx700 has better cooling than the gx620. So I might be able to get away with using the HD3870.

Edited by Dukanax

Ok, apparently I got some bogus information. I read the port would be ab to support Type III cards, but I just checked the board and type III are actually too big and would conflict with the ODD port.

Well I guess that means I won't have to worry about the heat issue at least..

So I found a 4650 from Toshiba. I guess I'll try that.