LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Nvidia driver mod help - upgrade from GTX770M to GTX 980M on ibuypower.com laptop (MS-1763 motherboard)

dkdad

Hi, All. I’m new here – a non-technical dad trying to upgrade my son’s gaming laptop video card but having some trouble…so be gentle. I’d be very grateful for any help with modified drivers, rom files, instructions, etc. to help me solve this for my son.

I don't know whether I need a modded driver file (and if someone can create that for me), to flash the video bios, etc,. so could use some help. I didn't find an ibuypower.com driver on the downloads page; ibuypower tech support won't assist since I didn't buy the card from them.

Details below – happy to provide more if needed.
Dan

Purchased & installed Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M card. Trouble getting the PC to recognize the card is installed. When I run the GeForce Experience software to download/update new drivers:
“Sorry, GeForce Experience could not find a driver for this PC.”

When I manually download the 980M driver for x64 Win 10 and run the install program, it returns:
“NVIDIA Installer cannot continue. The graphics driver could not find the compatible graphics hardware.”

In Device Manager, there’s a “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter Properties” with an error on the General tab that reads:
“This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31). The driver trying to start is not the same as the driver for the POSTed display adapter.”

The specs:
Laptop: Valkyrie CZ-27 purchased from ibuypower.com
DMI baseboard Model MS-1763, Rev:0.C
DMI BIOS vendor American Megatrends Inc., version E1763II1.10U

Basic display adapter hardware id's:
- PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_110B1462&REV_A1
- PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_110B1462
- PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&CC_030000
- PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&CC_0300

Using nvflash tool:
Adapter GeForce GTX 980M (10DE, 13D7, 1462, 110B)
Adapter PCI Device ID: 13D7
Firmware image PCI Device ID: 1617
Firmware image PCI Subsystem ID (1462, 1140) does not match Adapter PCI Subsystem ID (1462, 110B)

Hi Dkdad!

I`m gonna try to help you.

I have a MSI GT60 (16F3), the model you have is a "brother" of a GT70.

Some months ago I replaced my GTX 670M by a GTX 980M, I believe that you did something like this, right?

What processor your laptop have?

I followed this guide: [http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-official-msi-gt60-70-970m-980m-upgrade-thread.765058/]

In Windows 10 x64 the only driver version that worked is the 353.62 [http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/87791/en-us], any version above this installed but the Optimus function just won't work.

I've attached the MODDED INF file for the 353.62 driver so you can install the modded driver.

About the VBIOS...

You couldn't flash the version because you tried to flash the GTX 980M G-Sync BIOS.

You can see that the PCI device image it's different (980M G-Sync = 1617 / 980M Standard = 13D7).

Recently I managed to change the device Subsystem ID, to a version that I know that the regular nVidia Drivers can install (1129 instead of 110B), but again the Optimus won't work.

I`ll wait for your answers so we can figure out what we can do to solve your problem.

Good luck!

nv_dispi.inf

Edited by DMTwo

• 1 year later...

I have a similar problem. My MS-1763 has the latest unlocked BIOS and EC firmware. I purchased a used 980M 8GB pulled from a working MSI GT80 (SLI). It is not detected in Windows nor NVFlash (nvflash --list returns nothing found). I did not run DDU on my previous card (880M) before doing the hardware swap, I merely did right-click uninstall in Device Manager. Since then I have run DDU and re-installed the Intel VGA driver. Nvidia drivers still fail. I am most concerned about the 980M not showing up in NVFlash.
Is anyone aware of a problem with this combination? Anyone aware of this combination working? Any red flags in my procedure? Many thanks.

BIOS version:
 E1763IG6.71D
EC Firmware:
1763EG61 v5.17

Edited by Spats