LaptopVideo2Go Forums

HP 6465b: IDT High Definition Audio Drivers Causing Problems on Windows 10

r4in

Hi,

I have problems with IDT High Definition Audio  on HP 6465b running Windows 10. Upon launching any audio (including video files, music, games etc.) the computer freezes. When I launch Task Manager, I see Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation process taking 100 % of HDD usage. After a while (usually 10 - 60 seconds) the audio starts playing and HDD usage of this process goes down back to zero. Very annoying.

This issues started back in Windows 8.1 Update 1. The solution back there was to install HP IDT Audio drivers for Windows 7 in compatibility mode. I have tried this for Windows 10 without any success.

I know currently two workarounds for this issue, but none is desirable. You can (1) install generic High Definition Audio drivers, or (2) disable enhancements in sound panel properties. Both this workarounds lead to extremely bad, muffled audio, like sound frequencies are not mapped correctly.

HP currently does not provide updated sound driver for my laptop. The last version is for Windows 8.1, which causes this problems as well.

I contributed to other forums without any luck so far:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/HP-6465b-IDT-High-Definition-Audio-Drivers-Causing-Problems/m-p/5440443

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/wu-idt-driver-causes-massive-memory-leak/54de2fbf-4881-4486-920b-32214945535a

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/15490-idt-audio-drivers-6504-6492-a-2.html

Any help?

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

OK, it seems the problem for me (HP Probook 6465b) was solved by installing HP driver version 6.10.6367 (sp57776.exe) in Windows 7 compatibility mode:

1) Uninstall current IDT drivers, reboot and delete any residual IDT files (Program Files\IDT folder) and registry entries (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IDT)
2) Download sp57776.exe, extract it, right click on Setup.exe, choose Compatibility tab -> Run this program in compatibility mode -> Windows 7)
3) Install driver, reboot, no more audiodg.exe eating HDD usage.

• 4 months later...
On 3/8/2016 at 1:13 PM, r4in said:

OK, it seems the problem for me (HP Probook 6465b) was solved by installing HP driver version 6.10.6367 (sp57776.exe) in Windows 7 compatibility mode:

1) Uninstall current IDT drivers, reboot and delete any residual IDT files (Program Files\IDT folder) and registry entries (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IDT)
2) Download sp57776.exe, extract it, right click on Setup.exe, choose Compatibility tab -> Run this program in compatibility mode -> Windows 7)
3) Install driver, reboot, no more audiodg.exe eating HDD usage.

Hi r4in,

I saw your msg on the MS forums. Unfortunately no luck.

I followed your instructions for my original driver:  sp52562.exe

It didn't work with Windows 10. Constant issues and my HDD usage went up dramatically. I had to Refresh which also didn't get rid of the issue.

Now I am not even sure if I am missing some Intel RAID drivers that might improve on my situation.

It still doesn't solve the IDT issue that I have with my Envy 17 2000.

I guess I will try modding it again at some point in the future.

If anyone wants to take a shot at modding then I am glad to sign these drivers! (the best I can offer right now)

On 7/18/2016 at 2:11 PM, Pimpoff said:

It still doesn't solve the IDT issue that I have with my Envy 17 2000.

Unfortunately the Hewlett-Packard (HP) support site does not list any available drivers for the HP Envy 17-2000 series of laptops lately (not even for Win7 or any Windows version).  I've recently tried searching for them there and came up emptyhanded (I guess you're basically screwed).  You can direct your complaints about that to HP here or in the HP forums.

On 7/26/2016 at 6:59 PM, erp-ster7n said:

Unfortunately the Hewlett-Packard (HP) support site does not list any available drivers for the HP Envy 17-2000 series of laptops lately (not even for Win7 or any Windows version).  I've recently tried searching for them there and came up emptyhanded (I guess you're basically screwed).  You can direct your complaints about that to HP here or in the HP forums.

Hmm that is strange. Maybe Adblock is causing some issues seeing as how the HP site can be a bit flimsy: http://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-17-2000-3d-edition-notebook-pc-series/5046239/model/5069404#Z7_3054ICK0K8UDA0AQC11TA930C7

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52501-53000/sp52562.exe

HP forums are a form of purgatory ;D. Our AMD mobility modding site used to get flooded by people from the HP forums trying to get fixes for their mobility devices. My laptop was one of those really strange ones which should have received Win 8 support from HP but never did precisely because of the switchable Intel + AMD graphics.

Am currently working on modding AMD 16.101.x drivers for mobility devices since pre GCN devices have also seen their last days of support from AMD. Much like a farewell driver and then I will take another crack at trying to understand how to mod IDT drivers properly. Last time I tried it just turned into a bit of a mess.

Complaining to MS might be the better strategy at this point since they are able to push Tempo into creating a new driver if there are severe issues with Win 10 + IDT. We tried a similar approach once when all newer AMD drivers caused people with the whole Mobility 5xxx gen and some 6xxx gens to only show a blackscreen on Win 10. It took the whole community to complain on the MS boards for AMD to finally fix the issues so that people could use Win 10. Unfortunately IDT drivers don't have the same type of leverage.

The HP support site was acting weird when I made my previous post but HP fixed their site around this past weekend and it properly displays a list of available Win7 drivers for the HP Envy 17-2000 series.

The HP Probook 6465b laptop r4in is using is newer than your HP Envy 17 laptop and uses IDT audio + SRS Premium sound (not Beats audio), according to the specs.  Also the 6465b laptop has available Win7, Win8 & Win8.1 drivers while the Envy 17-2000 series has only Win7 drivers available (perhaps yours is either a late 2010 or early 2011 model).

Try the following solutions Pimpoff:

Someone made a modded IDT audio v6428 driver in this Reddit forum thread almost a year ago.

Unmodded IDT audio v6491 driver from the sp63555.exe package (release notes in HTML format says it's also for HP Envy 17 laptops) - courtesy of this Tenforums thread.

And be sure you are using minimum Windows 10 v1511 (build 10586 w/ latest cumulative update) or Windows 10 v1607 [the newly released Anniversary update - build 14393]

On 8/3/2016 at 3:45 AM, erp-ster7n said:

The HP support site was acting weird when I made my previous post but HP fixed their site around this past weekend and it properly displays a list of available Win7 drivers for the HP Envy 17-2000 series.

The HP Probook 6465b laptop r4in is using is newer than your HP Envy 17 laptop and uses IDT audio + SRS Premium sound (not Beats audio), according to the specs.  Also the 6465b laptop has available Win7, Win8 & Win8.1 drivers while the Envy 17-2000 series has only Win7 drivers available (perhaps yours is either a late 2010 or early 2011 model).

Try the following solutions Pimpoff:

Someone made a modded IDT audio v6428 driver in this Reddit forum thread almost a year ago.

Unmodded IDT audio v6491 driver from the sp63555.exe package (release notes in HTML format says it's also for HP Envy 17 laptops) - courtesy of this Tenforums thread.

And be sure you are using minimum Windows 10 v1511 (build 10586 w/ latest cumulative update) or Windows 10 v1607 [the newly released Anniversary update - build 14393]

Indeed the HP site is a bit iffy.

I didn't consider that the ProBook is SRS but the main issue on both devices seemed to be this HDD issue which now is no issue for r4in. I also stopped having the HDD issues once I did that frankenbuild of my Windows 7 driver. (injecting newer dlls from the Tempo + one of the last beats packages from HP without modding the ini / inf files - besides signaturelevel + certificate).

I was finally able to update to Win 10 AU 14393.10 with the newest updates.

Like you mentioned I have tried the modded IDT audio driver from the reddit thread without luck since it doesn't support my devID.

However the sp63555.exe package installed fine but the sound was muffled. The Beats options were unfortunately not working. And the equalizer also didn't work which probably explains the sound. Otherwise the driver was working without issues. The IDT beats panel was working without crashing upon exist. But the sound was muffled which made it tough to work with.

I reverted to my frankenmod Envy 17 driver (newer dlls etc). However this driver shares the issue of the beats sliders not working (even though switching this on and off makes a difference to the base). The equalizer on these drivers does work which is at least better than nothing.

Is there anything else I can do or try? I am not certain where the INF / ini diverge for my device to make it fully compatible.

thank you for your help!

Seems like I have a very unfortunate device "(perhaps yours is either a late 2010 or early 2011 model)." One of the reasons that it wasn't upgraded by HP was the 120Hz screen being incompatible with dynamic switchable graphics on Windows 8 I assume. 

The device didn't even include graphics updates because of this reason since the AMD drivers went into the direction of dynamic switching as opposed to fixed switching (which was compatible with 120Hz + 3D)

Edited by Pimpoff

not sure what to say but try these other unmodded IDT audio drivers; be sure to uninstall existing IDT audio driver & reboot before trying these other versions (v6499 to v6504 from HP no longer support your hardware):

v6.10.6495.0 from sp64681.exe

v6.10.6498.0 from sp65012.exe or sp65196.exe

Win8.1 & Win10 have an updated HD audio architechture that requires HD audio drivers to implement the SFX (stream FX), MFX (mode FX) & EFX (endpoint FX) stuff mentioned in these MSDN sites:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/mt243894(v=vs.85).aspx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/mt243885(v=vs.85).aspx

IDT audio drivers from 6491 & later implement those EFX/MFX/SFX entries in the STWRT.INF & STWRT64.INF files:

[ST.FX.playbackblue.AddReg]
HKR,"FX\\0",%PKEY_SFX_ProcessingModes_Supported_For_Streaming%,0x00010000,%AUDIO_SIGNALPROCESSINGMODE_DEFAULT%
HKR,"FX\\0",%PKEY_MFX_ProcessingModes_Supported_For_Streaming%,0x00010000,%AUDIO_SIGNALPROCESSINGMODE_DEFAULT%
HKR,"FX\\0",%PKEY_EFX_ProcessingModes_Supported_For_Streaming%,0x00010000,%AUDIO_SIGNALPROCESSINGMODE_DEFAULT%

[ST.FX.captureblue.AddReg]
HKR,"FX\\0",%PKEY_SFX_ProcessingModes_Supported_For_Streaming%,0x00010000,%AUDIO_SIGNALPROCESSINGMODE_DEFAULT%
HKR,"FX\\0",%PKEY_MFX_ProcessingModes_Supported_For_Streaming%,0x00010000,%AUDIO_SIGNALPROCESSINGMODE_DEFAULT%,%AUDIO_SIGNALPROCESSINGMODE_RAW%
HKR,"FX\\0",%PKEY_EFX_ProcessingModes_Supported_For_Streaming%,0x00010000,%AUDIO_SIGNALPROCESSINGMODE_DEFAULT%

;; Win8.1 new FX Property definitions
PKEY_FX_StreamEffectClsid    = "{D04E05A6-594B-4fb6-A80D-01AF5EED7D1D},5"
PKEY_FX_ModeEffectClsid        = "{D04E05A6-594B-4fb6-A80D-01AF5EED7D1D},6"
PKEY_FX_EndpointEffectClsid    = "{D04E05A6-594B-4fb6-A80D-01AF5EED7D1D},7"
PKEY_SFX_ProcessingModes_Supported_For_Streaming = "{d3993a3f-99c2-4402-b5ec-a92a0367664b},5"
PKEY_MFX_ProcessingModes_Supported_For_Streaming = "{d3993a3f-99c2-4402-b5ec-a92a0367664b},6"
PKEY_EFX_ProcessingModes_Supported_For_Streaming = "{d3993a3f-99c2-4402-b5ec-a92a0367664b},7"
AUDIO_SIGNALPROCESSINGMODE_DEFAULT = "{C18E2F7E-933D-4965-B7D1-1EEF228D2AF3}"
AUDIO_SIGNALPROCESSINGMODE_RAW = "{9E90EA20-B493-4FD1-A1A8-7E1361A956CF}"

and updated APO (audio processing object) resource DLL files (like stapo.dll & stapo64.dll) had to be updated to support these new EFX/MFX/SFX stuff.  Similar things also happen with other HD audio drivers from Conexant, Creative, Realtek & VIA when they were created in late 2013.

Also the HP Quick Launch Software must be upgraded to v3.00 (a Win8 & Win10 compatible version) from either sp58626.exe or sp59927.exe; check in the Programs & Features control panel and see if HP Quick Launch is listed there and uninstall the existing version, reboot and install the new version.

And does your HP Envy 17-2000 laptop have the latest BIOS?  I think the latest version for that one is vF.1C from sp59847.exe.  Run either MS System Information tool (msinfo32.exe) or DirectX Diagnostic tool (dxdiag.exe) to gather BIOS version.  Only update the BIOS if existing version is less than F.1C.

I've privately done my own "frankenmod" IDT audio + Dolby driver months ago (based on Lenovo's IDT v6503 drivers that have either Dolby V4 or Dolby DST/V5) and used them on my mom's Dell Inspiron e1405 laptop that has onboard Sigmatel/IDT STAC9200 audio.  Sound was already loud, even at 20% or 25% volume level w/ Dolby enabled - mainly because Dell put really high quality laptop speakers that produce pretty good bass sounds on the e1405 laptop.  The original Sigmatel/IDT audio drivers (like v6.10.5343, v6.10.5614.0 and v6.10.5866.0) from Dell never had any serious audio enhancements and were just plain audio drivers (and had lame control panel options).

btw, what is the hardware device ID for your IDT audio device (it can be found in Device Manager)?

the one I have on the Dell e4105 is "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7690&SUBSYS_102801D8"

• 1 year later...

I tried to upgrade the IDT (Audio Device) and it would download the update, however wouldn't introduce, the mistake was "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC – Error 0x8007001f". I hunt down it on the web and discovered two subjects, one is extremely new (here) and the other one was still when Windows 10 was a beta test, so there was no answer about it as well. Twilight seeking, I could locate an old HP point (date 2013) about IDT issues. Then i got the solution from https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-idt-high-definition-audio-codec-issues-on-windows-10/

• 2 months later...

So many windows 10 users report this error IDT High Definition Audio CODEC-Error 0x8007001f and sound suddenly stops working, or can’t hear anything coming out from your headphones. To reinstall IDT high definition audio CODEC or Update driver automatically to get the solution of this error.