LaptopVideo2Go Forums

5x.xx Drivers - problem turning off I8500 LCD

Guest xeonburn

Even thought I think it's a Driver issue (lid prob)

Attached is Dells 56.54 official INF (all GPUs) I've just changed the version number to 56.56.

Give it a try the INF will work with any 56.5x and most likely 56.82 and 54.01 and 53.8x.

If it works then an INF will be forth coming for Dells.

BTW there are no tweaks in this INF.

Pieter.

NVDM.INF

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• ®®®

• ThE NiTz

Guest razornitefire99

well i tried the INF here with the 56.56 drivers on the site and it still did not work. i guess this problem really is driver related and not the inf. so where do us dell users go from here. do we just have to either wait for dell to come out with a new driver, just live with the forceware drivers how they are and ignore the lid problems, or is their a way we can modify the drivers in some way to get the same results that the detenator drivers had with respect to the backlit. in any case wouldlike to hear if any one else experinced the same thing as i did or if it fixed the problem for any of you.

john

Just to add another datapoint:

I finally played with the 56.82 drivers last night. I started with installing them using Pieter's 20.19 inf. As others have experienced, my inspiron 8600 would not return from standby. I then reinstalled adding the MapOSD3ToNV=3 fix. With that, my standby works perfectly again. I don't know if this will work for other Geforce cards.

Also, changing the value of NvCplThermalSettings to 2 rather than 3 enables the temperature page in the control panel.

Guys,

INF v20.21 has :

HKR,, MapOSD3ToNV,                   %REG_DWORD%,    3

and :

HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak", NvCplThermalSettings,               %REG_DWORD%, 2

Enjoy the new settings, feedback is encouraged.

Pieter.

Hi im new here.... i would like to know... the force ware drivers that r in http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ are already modiffied or do i have to do something? i have a dell inspiron 8500 p4 2.2 1gb ram with a 64mb geforce4 4200 go, i would also like to know which are the best force ware drivers version for my video card.

Thx a lot

P

Guest Nerdtalker
Guys,

INF v20.21 has :

HKR,, MapOSD3ToNV,                   %REG_DWORD%,    3

and :

HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak", NvCplThermalSettings,               %REG_DWORD%, 2

Enjoy the new settings, feedback is encouraged.

Pieter.

That still doesn't make any difference for the 4200go. Standby doesn't work, and the temperature page doesn't appear.

SDW wrote :

Just to add another datapoint:

I finally played with the 56.82 drivers last night. I started with installing them using Pieter's 20.19 inf. As others have experienced, my inspiron 8600 would not return from standby. I then reinstalled adding the MapOSD3ToNV=3 fix. With that, my standby works perfectly again. I don't know if this will work for other Geforce cards.

Also, changing the value of NvCplThermalSettings to 2 rather than 3 enables the temperature page in the control panel.

So does this mean it works for 8600 and not 8500's ?

Pieter

So does this mean it works for 8600 and not 8500's ?

More likely is that it works with the FX Go cards but not the 4200 Go cards. I'm not sure the 4200s even have a temperature measuring diode.

I was more concerned about the resume/standby prob.

It works on your 8600 with MapOS.. = 3 but not on Nerdtalker's 8500 ??

Dell uses the setting in all of its GPUs from NV28+

Some Toshibas use it as low as NV17

Was there anything else you enabled SDW ?

Pieter.

No, not really. I am currently using your 20.19 with the following additions:

MapOSD3ToNV=3

NvCplThermalSettings=2

AGP sideband addressing enabled (stable, but no performance gain)

PowerMizer disabled

Some oddball added resolutions (1152X720, 1024x640)

That's it.

Mmmm,

I might try enableing SBA, see what happens here.

It has been proven that about a 1% performance increase occurs with it enabled.

I'd rather leave powermizer enabled for those that need/want it.

Pieter.

Guest slateman

So right now, while you guys are doing the tweaks... what is the best combo of driver and INF that works properly for the i8500? I don't want to experience the backlight problem, but I would love a bit of extra performance.

Guest Nerdtalker
So right now, while you guys are doing the tweaks... what is the best combo of driver and INF that works properly for the i8500? I don't want to experience the backlight problem, but I would love a bit of extra performance.

Probably the 44.03's at this point.

I might try enableing SBA, see what happens here.

It has been proven that about a 1% performance increase occurs with it enabled.

I've used the drivers with SBA on and off. I don't think it makes a difference with respect to standby issues. As for performance, 1% is about right -- less than a frame per second under nearly all circumstances. <_<

-Scott-

So right now, while you guys are doing the tweaks... what is the best combo of driver and INF that works properly for the i8500

I suspect that this depends on which video card you have more than it depends on i8500 vs i8600. If you have an FX Go card, try the 53.8x drivers with Pieter's inf.

Otherwise, for Geforce 4 cards, you are probably best off with the 44.xx or 45.xx drivers supported by Dell. You could add Pieter's infs to those, giving you more tweak options.

-Scott-

So my Lid fix reg tweak I added as of v20.15+ of my INFs isn't working ?

Pieter.

No, the regfix isn't working. I'm testing the 56.82 on a Latitude D800 (4200go) and otherwise these drivers are quite good.

oVan

No, not really. I am currently using your 20.19 with the following additions:

MapOSD3ToNV=3

NvCplThermalSettings=2

AGP sideband addressing enabled (stable, but no performance gain)

PowerMizer disabled

Some oddball added resolutions (1152X720, 1024x640)

That's it.

As I see it, these tweaks are added already in my driver, but they don't help. See above for my config info.

Does anybody know other suggestions?

oVan

Guest Nerdtalker
The best performance/quality I have seen are the 56.55. Most DirectX features enabled with the highest performance I have seen.

But you're still having the standby issues right? I prefer the 44.03's, better DX8.1 performance, and no standby problems.

So the concessus is that the Lid fix tweak works for the go5x00 but not the 4200go.

4200 try setting the MapOS... value to either 1 or 2, reinstall or mod the registry.

This might help as it applies to power states when in standby/hibernate.

Good luck,

Pieter.

Guest Guest
The best performance/quality I have seen are the 56.55. Most DirectX features enabled with the highest performance I have seen.

But you're still having the standby issues right? I prefer the 44.03's, better DX8.1 performance, and no standby problems.

I dont use standby, so it isn't an issue. I never use it.

I go off of performance, and with UT2004 being the game of chioce right now, 56.55s get my vote.

So the concessus is that the Lid fix tweak works for the go5x00 but not the 4200go.

4200 try setting the MapOS... value to either 1 or 2, reinstall or mod the registry.

This might help as it applies to power states when in standby/hibernate.

Good luck,

Pieter.

Pieter,

While I'm checking the registry, I notice all the old drivers had MapOSD3ToNV set to 3, so I think that can't be the problem, as with the older drivers there's no problem.

I do notice that the LidBehaviour setting differs from version to version: values I've seen in the registry: 3, 5 and 17 so far. (hex 3, 5 and 11)

Could this be the cause?

Tnx!

oVan

Guest big_gie

I have 12 occurence of "LidBehavior" in my registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{2FAEC12C-6454-4284-AFB6-ED523AD44C4C}\0000\\LidBehavior

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{2FAEC12C-6454-4284-AFB6-ED523AD44C4C}\0001\\LidBehavior

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{E7A1999B-59CC-417B-B8B9-C458F808CBE4}\0000\\LidBehavior

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Video\{E7A1999B-59CC-417B-B8B9-C458F808CBE4}\0001\\LidBehavior

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Video\{2FAEC12C-6454-4284-AFB6-ED523AD44C4C}\0000\\LidBehavior

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Video\{2FAEC12C-6454-4284-AFB6-ED523AD44C4C}\0001\\LidBehavior

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Video\{E7A1999B-59CC-417B-B8B9-C458F808CBE4}\0000\\LidBehavior

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Video\{E7A1999B-59CC-417B-B8B9-C458F808CBE4}\0001\\LidBehavior

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{2FAEC12C-6454-4284-AFB6-ED523AD44C4C}\0000\\LidBehavior

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{2FAEC12C-6454-4284-AFB6-ED523AD44C4C}\0001\\LidBehavior

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{E7A1999B-59CC-417B-B8B9-C458F808CBE4}\0000\\LidBehavior

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{E7A1999B-59CC-417B-B8B9-C458F808CBE4}\0001\\LidBehavior

All of them has the value dword 17 (decimal) (the same as 11 in hexa)

Maybe I could try to modify those values...

As oVan say, could it be it? Which one should I change? thanks

Edited by dontknow