LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Driver for Dell D820 / Windows 10 32 bit

timg11

I'm new to this forum.  I just upgraded a Dell D820 with 1900x1200 UXGA video to Windows 10 32 bit.

The hardware is DEV_01D7&SUBSYS_01CC1028REV_A1

The upgrade installed a basic driver which will not support the native resolution of the LCD (it scrambles),  and does not recognize an external monitor either.

The XP driver (latest available) from Dell will not install.

nVidia Quadro NVS 110M, Quadro FX 350M, Quadro NVS 120M, v.156.83-xp WHQL, A05
File Name:  R173741.exe
Release Date: 11 Dec 2007
Version: 156.83-xp WHQL ,A05
Last Updated: 03 Nov 2011

I read a few places that people had luck installing a Vista driver under Windows 10 in compatibility mode.

I discovered this site by an old link:
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers?dev=01D7⊂=01C21028&whql=0〈=0&orderby=version&dir=desc&os=
This appears to provide a link to 179.68 Windows Vista 32bit.  However all the links are 404.  http://download.laptopvideo2go.com/nvidia/175series/17968_vista.exe

I also found the driver listed here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/24105-v17968-windows-vista-32bit-dell/    But there are no download links on that page.

So I'm wondering how to actually download the driver.

Simply running R224635.exe from Windows 10 results in "This program cannot run on your computer"

So I tried the compatibility assistant, setting compatibility mode for Vista SP2.  The dialog buttons for "Test the program", "Next", and "Cancel. 

"Test the program" does nothing - there is a brief flicker of a circle cursor, and that's it.

Next asks if it worked or to try new settings.  I tried several variations with and without "run as administrator", but it never does anything from Test the Program.

I also tried 179.48_notebook_winvista_win7_32bit_beta.exe.  It will run, but after extracting the files, it says "The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your hardware".  and exits.

I then tried Nvidia 174.31 Vista 32bit WHQL driver R180799.exe.  The installer ran and said it completed and wanted to reboot.  This works better.  It now enables my external monitor, but has some problems. I cannot access display properties to set resolution. The start menu is messed up, and flashes and flickers. Only the Display settings that shows multiple display settings is available from right click on desktop.  It appears that it installed drivers, but not the context link to NVIDIA control panel.  Device manager shows it as NVIDIA Quadro NVS110M.

Edited by timg11

Extract R224635.exe, 7zip should do it

Then try and manually install it via Device Manager update driver, point it to the INF inside the extracted folder