LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Backlight doesn't turn on/off after resuming from Standby

aye29

I have a problem with system standby when I installed 56.56. It will go into standby just fine but for some reason it won't come out of it no matter what I do. It just shows a blank screen forcing me to restart my computer. When I rolled back the driver to 53.03, eveything worked fine. Does anybody know how to fix this? Thanks.

-Albert

Albert,

What machine do you have ?

I can give a you a special INF for your machine for 56.56. (ie OEM original)

Pieter.

Guest Cpt.Schmock

I've got the same problem. After resuming from standby everything hangs. It's not only the video driver since even alt-f4 and enter doesn't work. The only chance to get my system running again is a complete shutdown by pressing the power button for a few seconds.

Lars

Inspiron 8600

1,4 Ghz

Geforce Fx 5650 Go

If the following is your problem, then try the attached reg file:

SYMPTOMS

After you configure the energy-saving settings for a liquid crystal display (LCD) monitor by using the following steps, some portable computers that are running Windows XP SP1 may enter a state where the monitor does not turn on again, even though you press a key on the keyboard.

In Control Panel, double-click Power Options. The Power Options Properties dialog box appears.

Under Plugged in, set Turn off monitor to After 1 min.

Wait for the monitor to turn off after 1 minute.

Close the lid of the portable computer.

Disconnect the computer from the power source.

Open the lid of the portable computer.

The monitor may not come on, even after you press a key on the keyboard.

CAUSE

This error results from a process timing issue for the LCD Power revert in Windows XP SP1.

- Fixes issue where the screen remains blank after the notebook has been closed.

- This contains a solution for the notebook models listed below that are running Windows XP with Service Pack 1. The issue this fix addresses is where the energy-saving settings are configured to turn the LCD monitor off after one minute. If the notebook enters a state where the monitor does not turn on again, even when a key on the keyboard is pressed, apply this solution.

- It's an utility to configure notebook to enter standby when Lid is closed only when running on battery.

If that doesnt't help, then it's maybe 56.xx driver related or there might missing some entry in the inf. hope that helps.

lid.reg

®®®, you are a genius!

Although I've never had any trouble with my backlight recovering from standby, all the 56.xx drivers have given me the reverse problem, where my backlight failed to shut off when I closed my lid. Since the problem seemed like it could be related, I thought I'd give your little reg fix a try. It works great! Thanks! :)

One note for anyone else trying this reg fix... You have to reboot for the change to take effect.

Spread the word, there is only one forum to visit where things get fixed.

Great work ®®®,

Pieter

Since the problem seemed like it could be related

i had the same thought as you. Why not try that little reg entry, even i#m not affected by the problem (cuz i'm still running on 52.16) and never was able to test it!? :) .

Maybe Pieter will implement the reg entry in his inf to avoid issues with 56.xx. The reg entry is a fix from MS for XP SP1 (and obviously for Laptops).

I have another one (from TOSHiBA for my model) which "should" solve issues with standby, too, but didn#t. The "USBBIOSX" entry, which should fix the fact that USB devices can#t resume after standby (like USB-mouses). But it might need further testing. To tell the story from the beginning i had applied that reg entry in the very beginning of my XP installation and forgot about it. Some months later after using standby for the first time (i don#t use it that much) i recognized that my mouse is not working. Being a genius, i solved that problem, too. After lots of testing, regediting, standby, lidclosing and rebooting, i found out that i had to delete(!) both USBBIOS entries, to let the mouse work after standby. So that was the first time for years, that a patch "broke" sth. that wasn#t broken before :) :P :( !!!????

If you want to test it then pls. add two dword=00000000000000000 entries under HKLM\CCS\Services\USB and name them USBBIOSX and USBBIOSHACKS. Restart, Use Standby function, and youll see that your USB mouse is not powered anymore after WakeUp from Standby. Like i said this one needs further investigation or sth.

greetings to Vermont

®®® with german keyboard @ nightshift work (sorry for the #s)

where things get fixed.

I KNOW (in opposite to my nickname :) )

®®®,

The man that has forgotten more than most will ever remember. :)

I've modded 56.56 and 53.81 to v20.10.

It has the following in the [nv_ControlPanelSettings] section under tweaks:

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\LidCloseSetPower"

This adds a new heading with no value as per your registry mod.

I've tested it and it does the job.

Should there be a value, or is the heading enough to fix the problem ?

Now I need someone to test this for me (my machine works just fine with the lid)

It would pay to remove old driver first.

Pieter.

no value, just the empty subfolder LidCloseSetPower. Like you did in the 20.10 inf. Thats ok.

It would pay to remove old driver first.
no need for that.

Its done then. :)

I've checked out the lid fix in your new INF and it works fine, Pieter. Thanks!

Don't thank me, ®®® is da man.

I'll update other INFs as time permits.

Pieter.

That you will have to try for your self.

Any INF with 20.15+ has the mod added, so there are a few choices.

Good luck,

Pieter.

Hi guys,

sorry to announce you that under Win2k and Precision M50 (56.56 or 53.81) the registry fix doesn't work at all!!!

Hope to find a solution as soon as possible... btw thanks you so much for your help !!!

U'r great guys! LuxoJr

The fix is intended for XP with SP1.

Sorry for 2K, maybe there is another fix. Will look around in the next weeks...........

Some Laptops May Not Suspend Properly, Backlight Stays On

SYMPTOMS

When you either close the lid of your laptop computer or press the closure-detection button for the lid, the back-lit LCD display may not turn off on Windows XP-based computers.

If you manually enter suspend mode by pressing FN-F4, the backlight for the LCD display turns off. This problem does not occur if the laptop is connected to a CRT monitor.

CAUSE

This problem occurs because there is an issue with the code in the Videoprt.sys video miniport driver.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP.

The English-language version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:

Date        Time  Version      Size  File name   

-----------------------------------------------------

03-DEC-2001  15:57  5.1.2600.21  65,024  Videoprt.sys

So this issue was solved with XP ServicePack1. Still no solution for 2K :) But you should contact them (icrosoft) and explain them the issue.

Just found another one:

Dell and IBM Notebook Computers May Not Suspend

SYMPTOMS

A Dell or IBM notebook computer may hang (stop responding) when it tries to use Standby mode.

CAUSE

This behavior can occur if the COM port is open (by a modem, debugging, or so on) when the computer tries to use Standby mode.

RESOLUTION

To work around this issue, make sure the COM port is not active when the computer goes to Standby mode.

STATUS

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Server

Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional

Thanks ®®®... really.

But if my problem was related with something different than video drivers i should have had Standby issue also with 42.57 release (the last dell release that works fine on mine Precision M50), instead with em almost everything runs fine.

With no 5x.xx driver i can use standby feature that worked with previous driver releases.

Regards, LuxoJr

Guest Chris Lux

hi, i have a inspiron8500 with a geforceFX5650go an with 56.53 standby worked fine, but all after that have the issue that the computer doesnt recover from standby. actually using the a beta driver after 56.53 with the same issues. the reg fix cleared the lid close issue, but not the standby issue.

Interestingly my 6100 with win2k has the mouse problem: it is not powered when exiting standby. I have to unplug/plug it to power it again. The screen is restored, but it takes a few seconds.

search the registry for "USBBIOSX and USBBIOSHACKS" and delete dem entries.

read here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=316 and

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=361

:)