LaptopVideo2Go Forums

MSI GT 780 dxr Help

snowmanboy

Hi all. I'm trying to update my drivers on my laptop as I have been running in to issues ever since the windows 10 anniversary update hit. When I go to laptopvideo2go and look for drivers and their respected .inf I am presented with an error on their website stating "Error: An Internal Error Has Occurred." It has been like this for days. Can anyone coach me on how to find and download the correct driver and .inf? I have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 970m installed in my msi gt780 dxr.

Laptop - MSI GT780 DXR (OS Originally Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10 and now Windows 10 anniversary edition)

Card - Nvidia GeForce GTX 970m

Current driver version - 10.18.13.5382 with modified .inf and sig enf disabled.

Hey Zipper,

Thanks for the reply. I tried installing with no luck. It ends up failing when it tries to install the driver. I tried with the default driver .inf as well as the old modified .inf that I used in the past with just a modified version number. (Like you did when you helped me before)

Honestly, i'm not sure if i'm modifying the drivers correctly. All I did was change the version number. Am I supposed to be adding other stuff to the .inf file? For example- when I click on the topic link GeForce 369.02 MSI Mobile in the GeForce r367 series forum I am presented with the driver download link and then the modified .inf below it? like are those just added support entries? Should I worry about them? Do I need to customize a .inf and add those entries in? Do I only need to be concerned about the GTX 970m entries?

GeForce 369.02 MSI Mobile

NVIDIA_DEV.0DE3.10B8.1462 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M"
NVIDIA_DEV.0DE9.10B8.1462 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M"
NVIDIA_DEV.0DE9.10BA.1462 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M"
NVIDIA_DEV.0FD1.10C7.1462 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M"
NVIDIA_DEV.0FD1.10CD.1462 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M"
NVIDIA_DEV.0FD2.10B8.1462 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M"
NVIDIA_DEV.0FD2.10BA.1462 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M"
NVIDIA_DEV.0F...... (the list goes on but I didn't want to flood space with this post)

Probably your card is coming from a non supported source - or is it a MSI one? Which is the device ID?. The easiest way to mod an inf for you is to remove the subsys string from an existing GTX 970M set of lines. But it still may fail if your card needs some special settings. Didn't you try with that  http://laptopvideo2go.com/infs/370series/37270_win10x64/nv_dispi.inf as it is the latest and meant to be used with that latest driver covering all possible cards .

nVidia GTX 970M 6GB Video Card for Clevo Laptops is the graphics card I have inside my MSI gt780 dxr, so I guess it isn't an MSI card after all.The device ID of my graphics card is PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D8&SUBSYS_110C10DE&REV_A1 

I did try using what you priorly suggested: 

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/107014/en-us

http://laptopvideo2go.com/infs/370series/37270_win10x64/nv_dispi.inf

Unfortunately it failed. I think I need to modify my driver a certain way.

Seems so, your 10DE&DEV_13D8 is in that inf and so should work. Maybe Windows update is fcking something. I don't know  780 dx too well when updated to 970/980 - obviously the bios has been tinkered. On GT60/70 you need 51X/71X bios to get those cards to run. There's something about 780 dx in this huge thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-official-msi-gt60-70-970m-980m-upgrade-thread.765058/

But probably the original modder could have the answer to this problem.

Does 10.18.13.5382 run OK? If it does, try a newer driver in smaller steps to see where it breaks. For instance

or whatever that contains a modified inf.

Hey Zipper,

Yes 10.18.13.5382 runs OK. I will try new drivers in small steps like you suggested. I was wondering if I should be downloading GeForce xxx.xx Clevo Mobile driver links in these forums or GeForce xxx.xx MSI Mobile ones? Does it matter?

If with any driver your card is not recognized you always can remove the 13D8 GTX 970M  subsys string  &SUBSYS_110C10DE&REV_A1  from the inf and get the driver installed - hopefully working, too.

On 2.9.2016 at 3:52 AM, snowmanboy said:

The device ID of my graphics card is PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D8&SUBSYS_110C10DE&REV_A1 

Did you copy and paste this string with the clipboard from the device manager? Or did you write it down manually?

Normally it should read

SUBSYS_xxxx1462 for MSI - google search exposes lots of hits https://www.google.de/?client=firefox-b#q=SUBSYS_110C1462

or SUBSYS_xxxx1558 for Clevo

Yours reads SUBSYS_xxxx10DE which would be NVIDIA itself.

Where did you get the card from ?
Not from China and price too good to be true
Won't be first time a lesser card has been vBIOS hacked into something it really isn't

Can you have a closer look at the card and see the top of the GPU and take a piccy of it

Might be a NV OEM sample GPU