LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help Please with driver problem on GTX680M on Alien MX17R3

FadeLore

A couple years ago, after the hot running factory card on my Alien laptop burned out, I got advice from Notebook review which encouraged me to buy a cooler card (The GTX680M) and then to get a modded inf file from this site. Things ran pretty well, except that I lost screen dimming functionality and was not able to do the free upgrade to windows 10 because it failed the hardware check. But overall, I was happy to not have the burnout issue resolved.

Recently, the driver stopped working. I tried to reinstall the old driver I used from before, but to no avail. The Mod driver I had on file does not seem to do the trick anymore (or maybe I just forgot how to use it properly). Of course the automated driver install process from Nvidia fails because of incompatible hardware.

Hopefully, one of you kind experts here can point me in the right direction. 1. Where to get some sort of universal/beta driver like before that will work, and 2. a location of the appropriate modded inf file that I would need to add, if in fact the latest driver does still not support what I have.

Alienware MX17R3 Core i7

Vid: Geforce GTX680M

Desperation level: High :)

Thank you for anything anyone can do to advise me.

55 minutes ago, FadeLore said:

...The Mod driver I had on file does not seem to do the trick anymore (or maybe I just forgot how to use it properly).

Go to FAQ section and check out "have-disk method" and "using unsigned drivers"

A screenshot from GPU-Z is always helpful...

Thx.

I found the geforce306.2.2 modded.exe installer on this site. I think that version rings a bell. However, after 3 attempts, no joy. It installs fine, but I get a black screen after the windows logo and then have to reboot to safe mode.

I don't see an extract option with that installer.

I do get a warning from windows about an unsigned driver with that, but I just click through it.

But I'm still not certain I have the right installer. Maybe somebody could confirm that, or point me towards the installer that would be appropriate. I assume because it says modded that I don't need to update the inf file, but if I still do, I'd need directions as to where to locate that. Sorry if I'm dense, but I almost never deal with modded drivers - total noob.

• 4 weeks later...

Still hoping that somebody can help me. Can't do anything interesting on my expensive laptop till then.

Look in device manager what's your hardware ID's subsys string. Perhaps then a modified inf could be edited. Have you tried the latest Nvidia 376.33 or 376.60 Win7/8/8.1 driver - they have support for several Dell GTX 680m models.

ScreenHunter_25 Jan. 16 21.49.jpg

Try 306.97 from here https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER00946350M/2/Gfx_NV_P11_306.97_1FWD3_setup_ZPE.exe

Its latest Dell driver for the M17r3x, supports the GTX680M
Try installing it, but if you have a non original Dell GTX680M then

Grab the attached modded INF and overwrite original in /Display Driver/ folder
I've modded it so that any GTX 680M can use driver
Modded INFs (seperate download) are placed into driver install directories to allow any CPU to install the driver

Also make sure driver signature enforcement is not on, google it for OS you are using

You should be able to run setup to install other wise use update via device manager

nvdm.zip

• 4 months later...

Still not working!

Thank you for the responses. I've been out of the picture a bit because of a crazy work schedule. Still don't have a fully working system though.

I tried the advice posted above a couple times, and it is like what I was trying before. In safe mode I show the driver in device manager just fine. But anytime I try a normal boot I get a black screen, and I think the system is frozen. the fans are also running hard to. It just hangs there. Any ideas?

I almost wish I never tried going down this road. the original cards sucked because of heat, but at least I was able to use my system.

Any advice is appreciated.

By the way, when I try to update the driver in device manager, it just sticks in the standard display adapter.

Edited by FadeLore

Tried again after uninstalling Experience, and did not load 3d driver. Same problem. I get the splash screen, but then it goes black and locks up.

Help...

Uninstalled Experience. Same problem. I get the splash screen, then it goes black and locks up. Also did not install the 3d program

6 months now, no solution. (Bump for visibility)

2 hours ago, FadeLore said:

6 months now, no solution. (Bump for visibility)

Did you try some other forums?

Here are some experts for high-end notebooks:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/

Yes, I am also posted on the NotebookReview site, but not getting any further help. I'll try the other one you listed.

• 1 month later...

Yea, I'm still not getting any help over there. Any gurus around here?

Wish I never took the advice I found here.