LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Issues installing ANY modified infs for my 870m

Lament

Going to start with the basics:

• Laptop Make/Model- Clevo/Sager P151EM1
  • Graphics Card -- Device ID (DEV_ID) if known- Nvidia GTX 870m 6GB, NVIDIA_DEV.1199.5105.1558, stock vBIOS1
  • Current working Driver Version- None (660m working fine on 385.28)
  • Last Useable Driver Version- None
  • Operating System- Windows 10 Professional x64
  • An accurate description of the issue at hand- See below.

The issue is described here (I created a new thread to avoid bulking-up the main 384.80 thread), but essentially it's that no matter what modified inf I use, it always results in a code 43 (aka, the Nvidia driver halts the card because it thinks something is wrong).

The card is detected without problems within Windows and within Linux the drivers install properly (the official ones, without inf mod or anything like that) however the system will not boot (issues with communication between the driver and X-window, which is a common issue looking at Google- probably not relevant in this case though I thought I'd mention it).
It's literally that the Nvidia drivers stop the card when it initializes, and this problem is starting to drive me slightly mad.

The 870m itself is a working pull from a Clevo P170SM (both the P170SM and P151EM1 have identical motherboards, with a few minor differences, so the 870 is compatible hardware-wise).
Might also mention that the drivers install fine and the 870m in Device Manager is apparently working fine without the Intel iGPU drivers being installed, so maybe the Intel iGPU (Intel Graphics 4000) is interfering here?

As the GPU is working fine without drivers installed (and that it works "fine" in Linux (yes, it detects its vRAM size and capabilities), all signs point to a problem with the Nvidia drivers/binaries.
The machine's previous 660m GPU works fine with Nvidia's current drivers without any modifications to the inf.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is wrong here, and how I could go about making the 870m work properly in this system?

1 Apparently Premamod's vBIOS should get the 870m to work properly, but as Prema's run into some legal issues regarding the readme in their BIOS/vBIOS files, they've locked access to their website and it seems that nobody is able to get through to Prema in order to provide the required files privately.

Edited by Lament

Grab 358.28 nvcvi.inf and replace these sections with this

[NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.10.0...14310]
%NVIDIA_DEV.1199% = Section028, PCI\VEN_10DE

and

%NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.10.0]
%NVIDIA_DEV.1199% = Section027, PCI\VEN_10DE

[Strings]
DiskID1 = "NVIDIA Windows 10 (64 bit) Driver Library Installation Disk 1"
NVIDIA = "NVIDIA"
NVIDIA_A = "NVIDIA"
NVIDIA_DEV.1199 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M"

nvcvi.inf is the Clevo inf (unless Clevo uses another company to make your particular Mobo)
What you are doing is making the INF see your GPU and use section 27 or section 28 of the Clevo INF depending which Win10 version you are running

Hope this gets you sorted

11 hours ago, mobilenvidia said:

Grab 358.28 nvcvi.inf and replace these sections with this

[NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.10.0...14310]
%NVIDIA_DEV.1199% = Section028, PCI\VEN_10DE

and

%NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.10.0]
%NVIDIA_DEV.1199% = Section027, PCI\VEN_10DE

[Strings]
DiskID1 = "NVIDIA Windows 10 (64 bit) Driver Library Installation Disk 1"
NVIDIA = "NVIDIA"
NVIDIA_A = "NVIDIA"
NVIDIA_DEV.1199 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M"

nvcvi.inf is the Clevo inf (unless Clevo uses another company to make your particular Mobo)
What you are doing is making the INF see your GPU and use section 27 or section 28 of the Clevo INF depending which Win10 version you are running

Hope this gets you sorted

Unfortunately not- still code 43 :(.

This is after driver installation but before reboot, and this is after a reboot:

beforedriverinstallation.png

Yesterday I tried on Linux again and got a 'device has fallen off the bus' message in Linux, so could be a faulty GPU (but I don't want to give up until I've exhausted all available options):

21017922_1913294352221309_314694446_o.jpg

Edited by Lament

In that case its probably vBIOS related

• 11 months later...

@mobilenvidia

Bumping this issue. this isnt vBIOS Related problem. your inf mods also arent working for 8XX/9XX/1XXX GPUs with this laptop or whole old clevo models with new GPU.

I do own and tested with three(all three generation which i listed at first line) cards with two laptops, and all sort of combinations doesnt work with your inf mod.

But https://premamod.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/j95-nvidia-inf/ does work without any hassle. Check out inf mods for P150EM. with that i can use 1XXX/9XX without any sort of problems, like error 43.

Any thoughts?

Edited by dreeder@naver.com

Which of his/hers INF are you using ?

@mobilenvidia

https://mega.nz/#!Vj5CkaAC!MyRUKG3FnTPr3ulfhLvQ0l_KmucPqYIPZS0qOuGgTvg

this one. i made my 1060/970M to work successfully with this mod. you should check out nv_dispi .inf and nvcvi.inf

Not 870M tho, they didnt made mod for that.

He/she/they haven't really modded much, just grabbed a select few GPU's and made them work with original INF

There could be some OEM setting in nv_miscBase_addreg that may not agree with Clevo's
My modded INF is so all GPU's should install (not possibly work due to OEM setting issues)

But what is your issue you want resolved ? does it install, do you get an issue after install ?

With using my INF (nvdispi.inf)
If your PCI\VEN number is in the Clevo INF, if yes then remove this line from the clevo INF
Setup.exe will default to OEM INF if your Device is in that INF, remove it then it will look for it in other INFs (and find nvdispi.inf)
If the driver installs and you have an issue afterwards then it could be as above nv_miscBase_addreg or have a play with these settings:

[Mobile_Tweaks]
;Mobile Settings
HKR,, EnableBrightnessControl,       %REG_DWORD%,    1
HKR,, FastResume,                    %REG_DWORD%,    0x1
HKR,, PerfLevelSrc,                  %REG_DWORD%,    0x3333
HKR,, RMDynamicSLIAllowed,           %REG_DWORD%,    0
HKR,, RMMaintainDevs,                %REG_DWORD%,    1
HKR,, RMMaintainTVStandard,          %REG_DWORD%,    1
HKR,, RotateFlag,                    %REG_DWORD%,    0x40

;Hybrid Settings
HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Hybrid",DisableSmartHybrid,%REG_DWORD%,1
HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Hybrid",HybridPlatformRole,%REG_DWORD%,1
HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Hybrid",HybridSplash,%REG_DWORD%,0
HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Hybrid",WhiteList,%REG_SZ%,"AlienwareAlienFXController.exe, AlienFusionController.exe"

;Optimus Settings
HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvlddmkm",EnableCoproc,%REG_DWORD%,1
HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvlddmkm",PreferCoprocOverHybrid,%REG_DWORD%,1
HKR,,EnableCoprocPowerControl,       %REG_DWORD%,    4

@mobilenvidia

Thanks for looking this issue.

Yes, your driver does install but after rebooting it returns error 43 with any sort of 8XX~ GPUs.

i wanted to use 870M in this laptop but when i tried all sort of inf mods it always returned error 43. thats why i was asking this. 

also, i wanted to know why your inf mod doesnt work while their's does work. ugh, im kinda tired of begging mods to other modders, so i do want to know how can i mod inf (and understand) properly. thats why i was asking this issue to you.

i will try that. thanks.

omg was braindead

@mobilenvidia

i can confirm i dont have matching PCI\VEN line(assumed you are saying not just pci\ven, but full hwid with dev and subsys)  at clevo OEM inf

so i think those mobile tweak / hybrid / optimus matters. can you tell me more precisely about what should i do with that things?

Its most likely an OEM setting either needed or not compatible with your your setup

But if the other sites INFs work (modded for a select few vs mine for all) then use that

You may need to learn to mod INFs your self 15 years ago I had to, and now look at me

Without a machine to test on, very little i can do, but start with my suggestions above
Try removing the entire sections from the INF, or grab the orignal section your GPU INF uses and copy and paste into my modded INFs

Just now, mobilenvidia said:

grab the orignal section your GPU INF uses and copy and paste into my modded INFs

that is the problem, i already tried my GPU's original sections(with different subsys) but they all returned error 43. ayy lmao

so you mean i should remove mobile tweaks / optimus / hybrid or what?

Also try and force a Clevo install via Device Manager
Do the update driver, then point it to the clevo INF in driver you want to install
Now double click on that INF or (single click, OK) it will complain that not  device not found, you may need to click show all devices
Now scroll down to closest GPU that you have (870m ?)
It will now install driver with those Clevo settings

2 minutes ago, dreeder@naver.com said:

that is the problem, i already tried my GPU's original sections(with different subsys) but they all returned error 43. ayy lmao

so you mean i should remove mobile tweaks / optimus / hybrid or what?

Yes remove entire sections of the 2 above examples I showed you, it will install driver with default settings, but if it works then you can plug back settings back in
I spent many an hour doing this in finding out what settings do if they miss behave

17 minutes ago, mobilenvidia said:

Yes remove entire sections of the 2 above examples I showed you, it will install driver with default settings, but if it works then you can plug back settings back in
I spent many an hour doing this in finding out what settings do if they miss behave

Tried that, nope. didnt worked.

Should i bruteforce all sort of combination then? 🤔

20 minutes ago, mobilenvidia said:

Also try and force a Clevo install via Device Manager
~snip~

trying that, but i think its not gonna work. 9XX/1XXX Configs are also differ 😕

i'll also try installing signed driver.

OK I've grabbed Clevo INF from 398.36 and spliced it into my INF

I've tested it and works installs for me (using device manager)

This is the best I can do for you

nv_dispi.zip

WILL only work for Windows build 17315 or higher

12 minutes ago, mobilenvidia said:

OK I've grabbed Clevo INF from 398.36 and spliced it into my INF

I've tested it and works installs for me (using device manager)

This is the best I can do for you

nv_dispi.zip

WILL only work for Windows build 17315 or higher

Well, it also doesnt works. Thanks for your time anyways. i think i should ask this to Clevo laptop modders.

btw isnt latest windows build is 17134?

That was a complete typo Build 14310 or greater
New modded INFs only support from there up
I'm currently running 17723

as for you issue there must still be something I've missed

23 hours ago, dreeder@naver.com said:

Well, it also doesnt works. Thanks for your time anyways. i think i should ask this to Clevo laptop modders.

btw isnt latest windows build is 17134?

Just been playing with 398.72, are you able to give that ago please ?
Its a different kind of INF thats included, will be interesting to see if your Code 43 is resolved
I can't get Control Panel to work, but the driver installs fine